Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

max boost without aftermarket ems

Old 06-09-2002, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon
Default max boost without aftermarket ems

Quick question:

What is the Max boost a MAP based 97 tib can take without introducing an engine management system such as haltechs e6k ?
Old 06-09-2002, 07:04 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

can it take 5psi or so?

anyone?
Old 06-09-2002, 07:08 PM

I dont think anyone is gonna touch this.

but onpol ran 10psi on his stock system with 440cc and an safc.
Old 06-09-2002, 09:55 PM

I'm going to attempt 5 to 7 psi with just a rising rate fuel pressure regulator and upgraded fuel pump.

That's about the limit of what I want to do. It is possible; but you have to do it right:

fuel pump must be able to keep a proper A/F ratio under boost conditions.

fuel pressure regulator must be properly tuned.

you must have the right amount of intercooling.

Even with all this, 5 psi is all that is safe. Above that, you start maxing out the ignition timing limits. At around 7 psi, you max out the fuel system (even with an RRFPR and better pump).

I'm hoping to start installation in two months. I'll let you know how it goes.

As always: pick up a copy of Maximum Boost, by Corky Bell. a good turbocharger book.

ac
Old 06-09-2002, 11:02 PM

1 bar= how many psi???
Old 06-10-2002, 12:35 AM
Red

1 Bar = 14.7psi

Boost isn't what you need to think about, total airflow is what you should be concerned with. Think about this: you are given two straws. The first straw is one of those tiny little red/pink coffee-stir straws, the second one is a frikken huge McDonalds straw.

If you pressurize both of these straws to 10psi, which one will flow more air? Ok, so why does 10psi on a boost gauge relate to much of anything when you're talking about horsepower?

It doesn't.

The dependancy here is the amount of air you're moving; pressure is definately required but isn't the correct measuring tool.

If you just want to strap on a turbo or supercharger without touching ANYTHING else, the most you can probably do is about 150WHP max. If you don't mind strapping on a bigger fuel pump, a set of bigger (440cc or 550cc) injectors and an S-AFC piggyback (that's about $700 in parts altogether) then you can probably run 220-230WHP on the stock computer max.

That's about it. Anything above that is going to require new internal engine parts (pistons anyway) and will require better computer equipment.
Old 06-10-2002, 02:36 AM

Red:
then you can probably run 220-230WHP on the stock computer max.

That's about it. Anything above that is going to require new internal engine parts (pistons anyway) and will require better computer equipment.
unless you use some giggle gas tongue.gif
Old 06-10-2002, 02:42 AM
Red

I just realized you said MAP based '97 Tiburon. How exactly do you have a 1st Gen Tiburon running a MAP-based computer system? You must not be in North America...

If you truly are not in North America or Puerto Rico, then you likely do have a MAP sensor.

That being the case, there's not many people here who could tell you. The MAP-based Hyundai computers don't like S-AFC piggyback controllers, so you're out of luck with the bigger injector + SAFC fix.

And the very first moment that your computer sees more than about 1-2psi of positive pressure on the manifold, you're going to get a check-engine light.

If you're running MAP, you will HAVE to run all the fuel modifications mechanically instead of electronically. You can bump your injectors to something like 370cc, install an adjustable static fuel pressure regulator set at like 20psi (for idle), then install an adjustable rising-rate fuel pressure regulator for when you're on-bosot (something like a 3:1 or 4:1 setting). Then you'll need the requisite new fuel pump, some method of blocking your MAP sensor from "seeing" boost (but still reading vacuum) and a lot of tuning time on the dyno.

This is all likely more expensive and a little less accurate than the MAF-based options, but it would probably still allow your stock computer + engine to see the 200WHP mark.
Old 06-10-2002, 04:44 AM

so you the engine can handle 220whp or so by just strapping on a turbo and new injectors? (btw i already have a s-afc and fuel pump).
Old 06-10-2002, 04:51 AM

Curtas:
Even with all this, 5 psi is all that is safe. Above that, you start maxing out the ignition timing limits. At around 7 psi, you max out the fuel system (even with an RRFPR and better pump).

ac
I assume you are talking about ignightion Retard.
What if he found a way to avoid Det..
Would 7 be doable.
Or am I just reading this wrong.