Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Lots of questions, biggest reguarding vacuum?

Old 08-13-2010, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 02 Accent GL, 86 BMW 325es
Default Lots of questions, biggest reguarding vacuum?

Ok bear with me, I know I'm gonna have a lot of BangHead.gif questions, but I need to ask them.

We just got done installing the turbo, and didn't install the two vacuum lines from the BOV and wastegate, my dad wanted to get the oil lines and everything primed. Here's the big question, with my short ram intake, we drilled a hole for the vacuum sensor, was that what we were suppose to do, or is it even suppose to be plugged in anymore? circled here in red :

When that is plugged in, the car absolutely does NOT respond to any throttle input, but when it is unplugged, it builds RPM. When it is removed, it also whistles, like that's suppose to be the intake?

This is the way we have it routed:

Black goes from the center of the turbo out to the air filter, top blue silicone lines go up to the intake, that's correct right?

A overview picture of the turbo install:

We do not have an intercooler hooked up yet, we're going to do that next month or so. What am I forgetting, or is it once we get the waste gate and BOV vacuumed, will it run alright? Should we use that line that I had circled in red for it and T everything off that, or what should we use? Thanks for any help..
Old 08-13-2010, 06:29 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

go to the turbosocks section of here and look at the diagrams on "pcv"

thats how it should be setup

realize that your basically boosting the valve cover now
Old 08-13-2010, 07:20 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

Lol, there is no vacuum sensor. As he said, that is the pcv line, which routes pressure in the cylinder head back into the intake. If you're boosting you have to either disconnect it or install a one way pcv valve, so that when it's under vacuum it works normally, and when boosting the valve closes so you aren't applying positive pressure to the cylinder head.

I'm a fan of just routing that line to an oil catch can and call it day.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

That's not the PCV line. It does not need hooked to the intake anymore, hook it to an oil catch can.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:04 PM

Sounds good, I'll get that hooked up. What would be a good vacuum to T into for the wastegate, BOV, and the boost gauge? Also, where is the PCV located? I looked through HMA and couldn't find it
Old 08-13-2010, 08:23 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

RIGHT next to that hose
Old 08-13-2010, 09:27 PM

Which one in particular? Sorry, I went down and kinda looked around but didn't see which one you meant. Is it okay for the boost gauge, BOV, and wastegate to be ran off that same vacuum line?
Old 08-13-2010, 11:22 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

PCV is in the valve cover, the hose goes from valve cover to smack in the middle of the front of the intake manifold.
Old 08-15-2010, 03:59 AM

QUOTE (EclipseMTL @ Aug 13 2010, 09:04 PM)
Sounds good, I'll get that hooked up. What would be a good vacuum to T into for the wastegate, BOV, and the boost gauge? Also, where is the PCV located? I looked through HMA and couldn't find it

pretty much any hose coming off the intake manifold. it must be from the maifold though, anything before the tb is no bueno
QUOTE (EclipseMTL @ Aug 13 2010, 10:27 PM)
Which one in particular? Sorry, I went down and kinda looked around but didn't see which one you meant. Is it okay for the boost gauge, BOV, and wastegate to be ran off that same vacuum line?

i have been wondering this also. i don't see a problem with it though and i will be doing this with my setup, although i'll also have my map sensor hooked up to the same line. have you looked into a boost manifold or a vacuum manifold? i've been thinking of getting one.here's a link that would allow you to use one vacuum line and be able to add on more things in the future such as a map sensor or what ever... it has 5 ports with plugs you take out as you need to, plus an inlet and outlet so it's liek a t fitting with 5 outlets. to me it's a much better option
Old 08-16-2010, 07:39 AM

Vehicle: 2003/Hyundai/Tiburon

Wow, there are so many problems with this build I don't know where to start. 1) It sounds like you did ZERO research before you decided to jump into forced induction and you'll more than likely blow up your engine. 2) That looks like the breather line you put into the charge pipe which means you are pressurizing your head and block, which is a BAD thing. 3) Replace that pipe you drilled a hole in with a new pipe because its now garbage. 4) Are you MAF or MAP equipped? The MAF sensor should be placed on the turbo intake and the PCV and breather lines should go to the turbo intake in between the MAF and turbo intake. 5) Is there a thread some where about your build details? You can run non-intercooled just fine just don't go above 8psi and make sure you have a tuner with ignition timing control. 6) See #1 LOL