Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Internal Wastegates

Old 03-16-2014, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Elantra
Default Internal Wastegates

Whos running an internal wastegate? Or are all you turbo gurus only sticking with externals?
Old 03-16-2014, 06:43 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

I have internal. Works fine for my power needs.
Old 03-17-2014, 06:10 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

It is kind of rare to see people using internals. I think a lot of people just prefer the externals. Internals recirculate the exhaust as where as most externals release the exhaust into the air. However, not all externals do this. You can still route the dumptube back into the exhaust to keep noise to a minimum.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:37 AM

Man, I think you have BOV and waste gates mixed up. I've never seen an external waste gate dump externally into the air. You would be melting things under your hood! Let alone it would loud as HELL!!!

BOV s can be dumped to atmosphere or recirculated back into the intake.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

I had a friend with an SRT4 with an external setup that dumped with maybe 12 inches of pipe to sort of direct the exhaust out and under the car. I am amazed it didn't catch anything on fire and it sounded horrific (and very loud) when it opened up.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:40 AM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T

Originally Posted by tibbytib
Man, I think you have BOV and waste gates mixed up. I've never seen an external waste gate dump externally into the air. You would be melting things under your hood! Let alone it would loud as HELL!!!

BOV s can be dumped to atmosphere or recirculated back into the intake.

Wastegate dump tubes

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/wastegate-dump-tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5Vp6ebgHt4
Old 03-17-2014, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

I got a crazy one for you... On my Colt, I had a Big 16G with an internal gate with a divorced downpipe and dump tube that vented externally about 16" from the turbo.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:34 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Screamer pipes sound bloody tops mate! Although yeah, be careful where you point that stream of hot, uncatalysed exhaust gas...
Old 03-17-2014, 02:22 PM

Well, I was assuming the OP wanted something practical and street LEGAL. I have seen folks do that at the track for sure. Honestly, I've seen a lot of external wastegate setups dump into the main exhaust flow. The point of an external wastegate is to have spring options readily accessible and it is more efficient then a more traditional OEM style internal gate. You'll probably get more HP from a dumped setup. The trade off is more plumbing, more expense, and less room in an already cramped engine compartment. At least for us RD owners.

You can find good quality internal wastegate actuators that are rebuild-able and allow you to change spring rates to allow for more boost. I have one on the Tib. Its from forge motorsports. Works great!

dmdicks used a 2 way electronic exhaust actuator that I believe allowed him to bypass the exhaust system and cats altogether when he was at the track. IMO, if you are wanting to dump exhaust to atmosphere, this would be the way to go. Have your setup for street and emissions. Then when you track the car, flip the switch and redirect your exhaust to a safe location under the car and dump to atmosphere all you want. Now you have the best of both worlds.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:34 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon i4

Originally Posted by i8acobra
I got a crazy one for you... On my Colt, I had a Big 16G with an internal gate with a divorced downpipe and dump tube that vented externally about 16" from the turbo.

I was dumping directly out of the wastegate into the engine bay all last season...was super loud and scorched pretty much everything. Good thing there was nothing in its direct line of fire.