Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Intercooler As Cai???

Old 04-07-2005, 11:53 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Just kicking this around! Not sure if it is possible or would be worth the effort, BUT....

I am thinking about boosting my car in the not so close but not to far future (within the next two years) and was pondering the idea of getting an intercooler NOW and using it as my CAI. Seems to me that it would be more efficeint in getting colder air than just a simple CAI, but I am not sure if it would create negative pressure (since there is no turbo pushing air through it) resulting in lost performance. Also, more piping may yield more restriction. Damn, am I answering my own question???

Let me know what you think, this might be something us N/A guys could borrow from the boosted world! B)
Old 04-07-2005, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

I dont really know about this, but if it worked, they would probabally be selling IC kits for na cars and it would have been well known by now I would think??? But who knows
Old 04-08-2005, 12:00 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

You answered your own questions mang smile.gif. The added pipe/bends would be restrictive and would not flow as well. The idea behind a good CAI is 1 cold air and 2 straightest pipes possible.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:02 AM

No, it won't work on a N/A car.

WIth a N/A car, you are sucking in outside air. You can't cool 75 degree air by running more 75 degree air over it. It will alwasy be....75 degrees.

Now, if you used a water/air intercooler, and used colder than ambient (in above example, 75 degrees) water, then yes, it would have an effect (not much, but an effect).

With a turbocharger or supercharger, you are compressing the air. Anytime you compress the air, you heat it. You use an intercooler to remove that heat.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:06 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

Yup not only that but the air is moving a bit faster too.

Just get one of those ricey intakes that came out for the honda first. You guys know what ones I'm talking about. LOL
Old 04-08-2005, 12:29 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

I wouldn't do it. You won't get big lowering of temperature but you will have bigger resistance to suck air through intercooler, longer pipings to engine.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:47 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Yep! I thought I answered my own question!! laugh.gif
Old 04-30-2005, 02:22 PM

i just wanted to bring this back from the dead real quick.

it would'nt hurt you if you did this, i did it for about 2 weeks on a 99 eclipse prior to adding the turbo kit. just make sure you pit a filter on the other side of the inner cooler so you dont suck up dust and dirt.

the thing about cooling 75 degree air with 75 degree air is a little wrong. when the car is moving and air is slicing through the fins of the inner cooler, it is actually cooler than 75 degrees so it would cool a little.

as for the gains, you would see a better gain than stock but not as good of a gain with a aem or injen cai.

if you are going turbo and already have the fmic and want to throw it on and use if as a cai, it wont hurt your car unless you drive through a mud puddle or heavy rain because the filter will be a lot lower than a regular cai

some people may pull the rice card and blah blah blah but hey, i am a ricer anyway.
Old 04-30-2005, 03:10 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

whoah, where the hell have you been?

make a new thread with progress on the tib please. wink1.gif
Old 04-30-2005, 03:42 PM

QUOTE (djalkyd @ Apr 30 2005, 08:22 PM)
the thing about cooling 75 degree air with 75 degree air is a little wrong. when the car is moving and air is slicing through the fins of the inner cooler, it is actually cooler than 75 degrees so it would cool a little.

Sorry, but that defies the laws of physics.