Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

how long did it take for you guys to finish your turbo builds?

Old 10-12-2010, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon
Default how long did it take for you guys to finish your turbo builds?

ive heard of people being 3 and 4 years in and their turbo builds are still not done. those of you who are finished how long was the process from the very beginning to end?
Old 10-12-2010, 03:01 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

If you factor in research, yeah figure years.
Get Maximum boost read and reread. (okay so I only skimmed through the first few chapters, but its good information)

But figure 20 - 40 hours depends on whether or not you are going to fabricate your own oil water gas or exhaust lines. Whether or not you are going to tune it yourself, ect ect.

Personally it took me 9 days to get the car drivable but around 7 of those 9 days was spent trying to find out how to plumb oil lines, and waiting for adapters to get shipped to me.
And im still learning every day. Its not something you pick up overnight. Overall it really wasnt overly complicated.

3 or 4 years is insane. I mean unless they say there still building it even though its streetable.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:30 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

4 years here

sorta gave up on it for a while though

got it running and blew the transmission 3 days later, sat for another 4 months

its not a primary concern, just somethin to tinker around with really

first year of the project it sat next to my brothers house cuz i broke my shoulder the day after i pulled all the brakes out, cant really drive a stick with a broken right shoulder, wrist, and ankle. started researching toward turbo build. got married.

second year i pulled the motor out, sent it out to get built, switched directions in how i was gonna setup the vehicle twice (s/c then turbo), and had the motor on a engine stand for the rest of the year

third year had the IM made, alternator relocated, down pipe and turbo manifold made, decided on what turbo i was gonna run, bought intercooler

forth year, put it all together, spent the most money i ever had on any vehicle in 5 months, had TONS of people pull through and help me finally finish it, had to hurry the hell up and get it back together cuz we were moving, bought clutch, had charge pipe and 3" exhaust made, then car was broken into and half of my sh*t was stolen/damaged, learned how to rekey a lock cylinder, replaced bent brake lines, bought another F/IC, got tires, replaced shitload of messed up suspension,

still got tons to do now though, gotta fix some electrical gremlins. i have no lights for some odd reason, and thats ALL the lights. get a new trans in, wire up my flex-a-lite heater, install guages, get a bung welded in the downpipe, and fix my failure of charge pipe (i had the welder put the wastegate after the MAF like a dumb ass)
Old 10-13-2010, 06:20 AM

Vehicle: 2003/Hyundai/Tiburon

Is a turbo build really ever done? LOL. In all seriousness it depends on if your doing a 100% custom install or using a quality kit. Also factor in the skillset of the installer/tuner. If your good with tools then it shouldn't take you more than a full weekend to install a good pretuned kit and the necessary clutch upgrade.