Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

How do you find an exhaust leak? Best way to mount a turbo

Old 11-10-2004, 02:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Questions about a temporary alternative to boost.

Last night it was cold and i could see the exhaust because of the water in the air evaporating around the warmer exhaust gasses *aka steam/ white smoke*

however in the day time when i look under the hood, i cant "see" an exhaust leak, nor do i smell anything funky... so how would i go about tracking down the exhaust leak and trouble shooting it?

the leak is either from the down pipe *gasket i got was diffrent then old gasket so think got bad part* or from where the turbo mounts up to the manifold...

are there any special precautions to take when mounting the turbo back up? i left the manifold on and just bolted up the turbo to it and since there were 4 bolts i went in a cris cross pattern.. and yes i used a new gasket for that one too tongue.gif
Old 11-14-2004, 09:53 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon
Default Re: FS:Clarion ProAudio VRX935VD

...and people say speed-factor never responds... it only took him 9 minutes.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:54 AM

Default Re: Tiburon part out

Tim,

I just went to checker and found a header collector gasket that matched. i am not worried about that... i found the leak and it is on the manifold, but it is small so i wont stress over it.

to find the leak, i took a can of liquid smoke *we use it to test smoke detectors where i work* i sprayed it into the intake like mad *it is non flamable* and looked for where smoke leaked out of the exhaust

and i never said Speed-Factor doesnt respond! tongue.gif