Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Home Built S/C?

Old 03-21-2002, 06:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, nice idea but then think about the idea of making 10psi rather then 8psi. More power. You could solve the heat problem with something like a good intercooler or maybe the water injection systems. To set something up at 8psi is limiting the SC, why? That seems to me like talking about turning a tibby into a race car and then keeping the stock air box intact.

I don't know if any SC can keep the boost level. Mine starts at 2psi, but it is kind of like venting. Then it keeps going up until I hit the rev limiter at 14psi. Now it does get up to 10psi a lot faster then going 10-14psi but it is still going up. Part of that is just because a SC is driven by a belt rather then the exhaust like Random's turbo. That thing gets up to maximum boost real quick. I don't know if my SC has a "maximum boost", going higher on the rev's means more boost. Might not make hp (heat loss) but it will make more boost.
Old 03-21-2002, 06:44 AM

Random you might now the math for it but with your 10psi 300 degrees vs. 8psi 175 degrees. Yes the 8psi will make more power. I would expect the 8psi also to be less likely to detonate but I don't know when it changes. 8psi 175 degrees vs. 10psi 190 degrees, hp ? detonation would be more likely on the 8psi SC though. More boost = more turbulance = less likely chance to detonate.
Old 03-21-2002, 07:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

That SC is designed for a 3.4L V6, so It would more than likely be to big for a Tibby 2.0L. Also...Some how figuring out how to mount that to a tibby intake manifold would be interesting to say the least....
Old 03-21-2002, 10:32 AM

Tom, you should look for a wrecked Corrado G60 and try to get the supercharger for it...I hadn't thought of that until I saw SickG60's post...I know Deercreek has had a couple of them in the yard at one point, and has a black Corrado now, but I don't know if it's a G60 or SLC.
Old 03-21-2002, 05:39 PM
Super Moderator

G60 superchargers go bad frequently..and they are not cheap to rebuild ($1500).

If you are paying for it...make sure it is in good condition, or has some form of waranty.

The G60 supercharger system also has an intercooler. Make sure you snag that as well. While you are at it, you might as well grab the SC, Intercooler and all related plumbing.

[ March 22, 2002, 12:41 AM: Message edited by: Random ]
Old 03-21-2002, 10:21 PM

If the S/C for the 3.4 would fit though that is something you could gradually build up to right? I mean as you upgrade the internal's and what-not you could gradually turn up the boost on it. I'll have to check out Deercreek Reid. That's not a bad idea! Are you gonna be at the shop with Chuck tomorrow? I might stop out w/ my GF. We gotta go to Chuck's house afterwards and design his website.
Old 03-21-2002, 10:43 PM

Yep, I'll be there.
When was the last time you talked to Chuck about the website? (email me)
Old 03-22-2002, 10:39 AM

Hey I was looking at capa's web site and I noticed that they have alot of american cars also. Fords etc... So they must know a littel bit about the map/mafs sensor problems that peopel have with using conversions from over seas. I just wanted to know if any one has ever tried contacting them and asking if they make a sytem that would work on american cars.
Old 03-22-2002, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator

A forced induction system should really use a MAP sensor rather than a MAF for reasons stated above. If you want to use any form of forced induction, and have it make the most power, most reliabily, and most efficently, a MAP sensor is the way to go, not MAF. Sure there are "add ons", "band aids", and "tricks" to try to make a MAF work with Forced Induction, but they will not compare to a MAP based system.

If you think about in, when you have a $4000 turbo buildup (budget), what's another $1500 for a Haltec or Motec system to make sure it runs RIGHT?
Old 03-23-2002, 09:51 AM

I bought Corky Bell's "Supercharged!" book 3 weeks ago and read it cover-to-cover. Awesome & fun to read if you either know a little a bit about cars or engineering. I came to the conclusion (for my mod plans) that a roots style blower (Eaton M45) is an ideal alternative to a turbo.

To summarize, a Roots supercharger is great power for the money and is operationally simpler than a turbo. However, it is limited! Like was said above, it's like going from a N/A 2.0L engine to a N/A 3.0L engine for $3000+, but doesn't give you the ballz that a turbo does. Also, an intercooler is really not an option which is too bad because the Roots is the least efficient method of F/I.

I don't see anyone being able to make their own SC. Installing it yourself will be enough of a challenge and you'll save good money not paying a mechanic.

After talking to a mechanic that raced his own supercharged K-car for Chrysler, many things can go wrong, namely the drive train, pulleys/belts(i.e. timing) and the drive axle depending on the boost/power in the car.

I have an auto, and for my driving habits a SC with half the power of a good turbo is something I would be happy with. I'm still skeptical as to how easily and cheaply a well tuned SC can be done correctly. (BTW, Good Post Y2KTIBLTD)

[ March 23, 2002, 06:54 PM: Message edited by: simonR8SR ]