Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Help for a turbo project

Old 04-13-2003, 06:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help for a turbo project

I am new here and i was hoping to get some tips for my up comming turbo project. I have a 2000 tiburon and these parts a mitsu big 16g turbo, with a 1g dsm turbo exhaust manifold, rc eng 440cc injectors, a walbro 255lph fuel pump and hopefully a apexi safc. I have some specific questions but any additional advice would be really great. first, what is the best way to go for fuel pressure regulators. I have heard mixed reviews on raising rate fpr`s. What is the best way to go rr or not, can you recommened any specif units? Second, does the mass air flow sensor cause any problems. Should it stay were it is or is it best to relocate it in between the air filter and the turbo? I have yet to get started on this project but any tips would really help. thanks in advance, mose

P.S. i own a copy of max boost.
Old 04-13-2003, 07:17 AM

With 440c, you wont need a RRFPR. for more fuel.

But you will need a RRFPR for the 255walbro. as the stock FPR is restrictive and will raise pressure from 43psi to 65psi.

Aeromotive RRFPR seems to be the best one at the moment.

Vortehc SFMU is terrible. The standard vortech FMU wont fix the problem.

I think some use the Paxton RRFPR as well

You will ned something like an SAFC or SMT5. to control fueling.

You will need an MSD dis2 if you wish to go over 8psi. to retard timing.

up to 8psi you wont need to retard timing.

Intercooler will be mandatory with 10.3:1 compression.

MAFS read air flow. It will need to be 6inches from the INTAKE of the compressor of the turbo.

Having it between the TURBO and the Thorttle BOttle, will cause it to not read correctly.
as it needs to read all the air coming in before the turbo pressurizes it. Air Intake sensor has to be before the MAFS as well.

DSM exhaust manifold. Will need to be slightly modified for it to fit on your engine. Some holes will need to be elongated. and the DSM has smaller ports then on your block. You an enlarge the manfold ports for better flow to the manifold.

With the DSM manifold and TURBO. The tubro will hang out to where your Alternator is. Those that use the DSM manifold, remove P/S and move the alternator to that position.
Old 04-13-2003, 07:29 AM

If your installing a Walboro Fuel pump(which is a good idea) and using 440cc injcetors a standard 1:1 ratio FPR(AEM) will be MORE THAN ENOUGH Fuel and you dont need a RRFPR.My car is running up to 13psi with 440cc injcetors,AEM 1:1 FPR,S-AFC,MSD and i still have MORE THAN ENOUGH fuel.I had an 8:1 Fuel mixture with my set-up on the Dyno and using an O2 sensor.
I suggest getting an AEM universal 1:1 FPR and you will be fine smile.gif smile.gif
Old 04-13-2003, 08:38 AM

thanks guys, the dsm exhaust manifold is ported, so that won`t be a problem. So should i go with the aem fpr? Does it just bolt up to the end of the fuel rail, or will some fabing be required? you also mentioned moving the p/s, what does that mean?
Old 04-13-2003, 08:41 AM

Hey 2uniq is this the one your are talking about?

AEM universal fuel pressure regulator
web page
Old 04-13-2003, 12:07 PM

Sorry to interrupt, but can you explain why the IAT sensor
should be before the turbo?
Old 04-13-2003, 12:37 PM

kane moser:
thanks guys, the dsm exhaust manifold is ported, so that won`t be a problem. So should i go with the aem fpr? Does it just bolt up to the end of the fuel rail, or will some fabing be required? you also mentioned moving the p/s, what does that mean?
powersteering pump and alternator. The way the turbo bolts to the manifold it will hit the alternator.

The work around is.

Remove the powersteering pump from your car (losing powersteering)

and move the alternator up to the spot the powersteering was.

Yes you will need to either TAP the fuel rail with a pipe thread and screw in a fitting or...

You can try a DSM adaptor. Not 100% sure it will fit thou.

http://www.diamondstarmotorsport.com/fuelparts.shtml

Also, I might wanan remind you...Stock tiburon ecu uses high omn injector, low omns wont work.
Old 04-13-2003, 12:40 PM

bryfx:
Sorry to interrupt, but can you explain why the IAT sensor
should be before the turbo?
The IAT works with the MAFS to give the ECU air flow readings.

If the IAT is giving different temperature then what then what is passing by the MAFS airflow. It wont read that air flow correctly.

Being our MAFS is a HOT wire. It tells how much air is passing through by how much the air cools the MAFS hot glowing wire. and so the it needs to know the CORRECT air temperature.

Also...In a pressurized tub, it going to behard to mount the IAT. if you use the rubber grommet it will just ppop out under boost.

so it would need to be before the compressor.
Old 04-13-2003, 12:41 PM

Any idea how to find out if that dsm adapter will fit?
Old 04-13-2003, 03:18 PM

buy it and try it? smile.gif