Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Got a ticket for my BOV

Old 07-29-2011, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2003 Turbo Tib
Default Got a ticket for my BOV

Pulled over this morning after going by a cop and my BOV went off. He turned around, came after me, and when he walked up to the window, he asked me what the whistle sound was that came from my car when I drove by him. I said it was my BOV and explained what the purpose of it is. He walked back to his car, sat there for a few min and came back with a ticket for noise pollution.

Im gonna fight it and show the judge that Eclipses, Evo's and WRX's came with them stock. I have an HKS SSQV thats vented to the atmosphere in case anyone is wondering.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Weak. That's Washington for you though.

Shraye got a loud exhaust ticket a while back in his Tiburon...with stock exhaust. He does have an intake and it's fairly loud, but upon showing the judge the documentation that his exhaust was stock the ticket got dropped.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:07 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

just go to local shop and have them do inspection. OR go to dealer and pull up the schematic and stock part#
Old 07-29-2011, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

187sks: that's why a garage to stow your stock parts is an investment
Old 07-29-2011, 07:11 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

holy sh*t thats wack batman ! and i thought Virginia cops were f*cked. now that is just plain retarded ! that cop needs some sort of reprimand. did you get any other tickets?
Old 07-29-2011, 07:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 02 Hyundai Accent

If you were in Cali it would have been much more then a ticket. For my headers an intake the officer got me on awhile back he made the decision that the "modifications were simple enough to allow "ME" to return it to stock, not really sure what the other alternitive option was. Then I had to take it to a referee station to prove it was returned to stock and thats when I got cracken on making my beta swap legal cuz the ref station would have caught that.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:42 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

man cali sucked, in 2002 they made me take this off to get inspected >
Old 07-29-2011, 09:50 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

The mutha effing randoms special!
Old 07-30-2011, 03:43 AM

Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GTV6

If the cop did not get a decibel reading it will not hold up in court. What is the cops name? Is it Zapeda by chance?...
Old 07-30-2011, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

"it's an essential part of a turbo system to protect the engine."

Its purpose is to prevent compressor surge, and reduce wear on the turbocharger and engine. Blowoff valves relieve the damaging effects of compressor "surge loading" by allowing the compressed air to vent to atmosphere, making a distinct hissing sound, or recirculated into the intake upstream of the compressor inlet.

The officer heard a noise he wasn't familiar with, and it caught his attention. It is not exceptionally loud, it's just a different sound that not many engines make.

Hell, if the judge throw the modification thing at you and doesn't like what you're saying, tell him it isn't used to get more power, it actually hinders power in order to protect the engine. It's the EXACT same noise you hear from turbo diesel semi trucks, they're necessary in every turbo car.