Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Got myself another 30hp from the supercharger!

Old 03-25-2003, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart GSR
Default Got myself another 30hp from the supercharger!

Its been about a year since my last lot of tuning so I decided to throw some more money at the car to see if we could get any more power out of the supercharger - and we did!

Previously I was making around 171bhp at the flywheel, which is fine, but gets boring after a while tongue.gif

The car went back to the place which tuned my Unichip after the s/c install because they really know there stuff, after a few phone calls we decided to install the Aquamist 2c water injection system, machine 2mm from the s/c pulley and lighten and balance the flywheel, plus install the new clutch from SPEC.

The fuel system is still stock (apart from increasing the pressure) and the 5th injector is still in the box it came in smile.gif

Anyway, the grand result is 200bhp at the flywheel (well its 199.5 but its better to round up smile.gif ) which is a decent increase, you can check out the figure on the dyno graph - I have had to partially block out the file name as they used my car license number, if you are a non-believer I will happily email you the original wink

Now, importantly the butt dyno test! The acceleration is fantastic, and you really appreciate the extra power when you are cruising in 4th or 5th gear and you floor it and the car just goes with no effort.

I've only had the car back since Saturday so I've not had much of a chance to play, but the increase in power is definately noticeable (there'd be nothing worse than spending several weeks wages and the car still feeling the same)

Heres a few pics -
Water pump under the battery
water line
water nozzle in tb

The engine seems to be moving more and is hitting the strut bar, which I've now removed. As you can see there wasn't a lot of room. I hope to modify the brackets and re-fit it, but I have anti-sway bars on the car anyway.

Oh and heres a couple of shots simply because I've now got a digital camera and I'm having a great time photographing everything!
Pic 1, Pic 2, Pic 3
I have removed the old roof spoiler and a new one is going on in the next week.
Old 03-25-2003, 08:37 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Elantra

jaw_drop

Cool! Congrats!
Old 03-25-2003, 09:22 PM

Alpine really needs to work on that kit.

You finally gained the advertised horsepower.
But with alot of work.

good work...I am happy for ya.

I just wish you would have gotten 200flywheel when you originally installed it.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:19 PM

Do you have to fill up a container of water every so often to be sprayed into your TB?

Also, It looks like your coolant lines are still connected to your TB. If that is the case, you may be having an adverse effect from the hot water in your coolant system battling against the cool water you are shooting in.

It looks awesome 200hp supercharged tb! Alpine would be proud! wink
Old 03-25-2003, 11:34 PM

The water from the injection system is fed from the windscreen washer fluid bottle.

And yes, it would have been nice to be making that sort of power without spending the same amount of money as what the s/c cost in the first place.

[ March 26, 2003, 06:36 AM: Message edited by: Xorro ]
Old 03-26-2003, 12:37 AM

Xorro!
I assume the tunners programmed this in your unichip because it wouldnt do it on its own without some form of programming!

My questions are:

1)How much you pay for the Water injection kit?
2)How hard was it to install and how much?
3) Also how much boost you running and when you say 200 at the Flywheel how come it doesnt show wheel HP instead on the Dyno!
200 At the Fly is about 175-180 WHP

[ March 26, 2003, 07:39 AM: Message edited by: 2 UNIQ ]
Old 03-26-2003, 01:15 AM

Good Job Xorro I will be there soon enough I hope. That is one beautiful trq reading nice and round. Hopefully you plan on getting an upgraded full pump soon cause its not going to handle much more.
Alpine is going to get my car again here real soon.
Right now as the kit(standard) stands its only going to make about 140whp to 145whp on a stock I4. Unless Alpine performs a miracle some how.
First priority is to make this a CARB legal kit.
Then the upgraded stages I hope.
P.S. Xorro can you tell me how you modded the strut bar so I can do the same. Or post pics of the braces.

[ March 26, 2003, 08:17 AM: Message edited by: techcontib ]
Old 03-26-2003, 03:03 AM
Jon

Did you really pay over £600 for this system and is that on top of the Owen bill or included.
Old 03-26-2003, 04:43 PM

The costs were -

water kit £400
fit water kit £250
map unichip £110
fit clutch and flywheel £300

the total bill came to £1500 including VAT and some other stuff

The unichip was re-tuned for the new mods and it controls the water injection system. The problem before was the ignition timing had to be retarded way back to stop preignition, however by using the water to stop this means that you can program in the ignition advance you need to get some decent gains.

and I don't know why the dyno only measures power at the crank.

Upgrading the fuel pump and the injectors will come next, but for now I'm going to enjoy the new power.

The bottom two lines on the syno show the psi before and after, its runs around the 6psi mark and raises to 8psi @ 6661rpm.

The strut bar is off at the moment, but I am going to try raising the brackets using some washers.
Old 03-26-2003, 09:05 PM

With the water coming from the windscreen washer bottle, you want to be careful no one puts screen wash in whenever it's getting serviced, as i'm sure you would not do that Zoe wink

Barry.