Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Good Bye My T3

Old 03-02-2007, 04:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a sad day. sad.gif

Today, I was working on the car putting the manifold back and stuff.

I took out the compressor inlet pipe and found oil at the compressor inlet area sad.gif .

That was a problem because 3 days ago, I found the oil at the same area and I cleaned it.

That means the oil is leaking from the center section to the compressor side. I also found the oil in the hot piping just before the IC. Oil didn't get into the IC though.

I finally decided to send the turbo for rebuilding.

I sent my turbo to this company. www.gpopshop.com

I talked to the rep there and decided that they were good enough to send my precious turbo smile.gif

I will keep you guys updated about this.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:30 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Why didn't you just get a rebuilt kit and do it yourself?

Are they charging you 250 +tax for a rebuild? A brand new T3 is $400.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:35 PM

^^
cause you cant balence it yourself. and thats the most important step to a rebuilt turbo.

think your unbalenced rims shake, that turbo spins over 9X's faster then your wheels on your fastest day.

i used to use magestic turbo for my rebuilds, but have switched to precision turbo.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:41 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

You don't need to balance your turbo once your rebuild it unless you swap wheels,shafts,nuts, or unless they have chipped or damaged.

If you mark the shaft,bolt,and compressor wheel than line it back up it's good enough. Unless before the rebuild your wheels were grinding on the inlets. Using the method above is a very good method, and used a lot.

It won't be 100%, but it will be very unnoticeable. If you want a piece of mind than balance it.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:34 PM

it is 250 + 25(shipping) = $275 shipped.

I could have doen it myself, but who knows. I really wanted to know what's wrong with my turbo. They will inspect the turbo for free before they do anything. Also the balancing will be the most important thing that you have to consider before DIY it.

I got my T3 super 60 for 425 shipped, and I can get it again for same price, but it is still more expensive than rebuilding it.

I think rebuilding the turbo is a very good option since they have a 12 month/50,000 mile warranty which is better than the 90 day warranty for the new turbo.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:51 PM

gpopshop rocks...talk to a guy named jerry, he's the f***in genious out there
Old 03-02-2007, 10:14 PM

How do you have your PCV/Breather setup? You could be getting oil in there from your intake pipe leading into your turbo from your PCV/Breather...?
Old 03-02-2007, 10:26 PM
Banned

did you honestly already send the turbo out to get fixed? was there any shaft play. i really don't think your turbo is bad man...
Old 03-02-2007, 11:22 PM

both my PCV valve (replaced with a barb hose fitting) and breather outlet are venting to atmosphere. they are not even connected to the intake at all.

Yes, nate. I couldn't take anymore. I had to send it to them.

I think it's worth the shot.

If the turbo is fine, I just would end up paying $50 which is the shipping cost only. That's good too because I would know that the turbo itself is good.

If the turbo is bad, that's good to me too. They will fix the problems, and I will be getting a new turbo with a good warranty.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:31 AM
Banned

boo.. sad.gif you shoulda sent it to me, and i coulda told you if it was bad.. are your pcv and breather lines hooked up completely seperate, any catch cans? or are they T'd together..

you could just put the pcv valve back in and see what woulda happened.