Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Going Turbo Very Soon, What Stand Alone Do I Choose

Old 09-15-2010, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Hyundai Elantra / 97 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Going Turbo Very Soon, What Stand Alone Do I Choose

Ok guys, I finnally got most of my parts all gathered up for my Turbo build, SO far Im getting a 16b Turbo with a 1G Manifold, I was told that the 1G Turboed Eclipse Manifolds work on our 2.0L engine's, SO I fond one with a turbo an housing with 02 sensor, Anyways Im not building the motor off the bat, so Ill be running stock internals for alittle while till I can get pistons in my motor, Im not sure yet I may even buy another motor an build it up then switch the stuff over to the built motor.

I was wondering If someone could tell me what Stand Alone Engine Management Controler I should go with, So far I have found these items that will work for my Build.

1: Apexi Safc Neo - I believe this is the easyest to work with overall
2: Mega Squirt - Not even sure how it works yet
3: AEM F/IC

Im thinking I may go with the Apexi Safc Neo, Its the best price, an allows me to do everything I need to, an I hear good things about it.
So far this is what im looking at for my build, please add things if I need them, Im looking to go for a mild build for now, so Cams an Pistons are out of the question, Im looking to bolt up an splice everything over the weekend when I have all the parts.

1: Complete 16B Turbo, Not Stock, Slightly Upgraded an bigger ports Im being told
2: Stock Manifold from a 1G Turboed Eclipse
3: Stock Blow-off Valve with stock air piping, Not sure if Intercooler is Front mount or Side, Havnt seen the parts yet

Im not 100% sure if the Stock Mitsu Manifold Bolt up to my 2.0L but I herd they do, If they do then Im in busness with thos parts I listed up there, he wants 250 for it all.. If soemone could let me know what else im going to need that woudl be great, an if the Stock Mitsu dos work on our 2.0L engines. Thanks Guys
Old 09-16-2010, 12:43 AM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

OKAY where to start,

We will start with the Neo, Totally not going to work. That is not a effective way to change our fuel maps for Hyundai, you can use Mega squirt there are a few people running it, Yet the Fic which is what i am running, it is the sh*t! There are tons out there for tuning but the NEO is not one of them, you can look into the Haltecs to...

1G Manifold, it wont bolt right on, you will have to elongate several bolt hole and port match it to the gasket, (not to hard), But that manifold will make you have to route your DP really really close to the radiator and i dont even think you can use a 3" has to ob 2.5" DP.

Things you will need:
injectors
fpr
higher flow fuel pump
spark plugs
intercooler with appropriate pipping

^Get in contact with TurboSocks for those parts www.turbosocks.com!!!!!

Also,
Fuel tuner (must be able to PULL timing)
Turbo Timer ( i say it is a must some say no)

I say also look at some of our forums we already have for Turbo Apps:
Turbo Grocery List (good one)
There are tons just snop around in the Turbo Forum look at pics to to get Ideas off other people accomplishments.

To do a full Turbo install with a tuning device like the Fic in one weekend is a like Far fetched... Unless you are some Master Tech some were your own welder and are a kick as wire shooter!

Anyway

Goodluck

Old 09-16-2010, 01:12 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Accent 22PSI Boost

Mate the best Computer to use by far is a EMS Stinger 4424. Absoluelty the best thing ever, and oh so simple to tune. The can work on any piston motor basically, saying that mine is only wired through a crank angle sensor and basically uses no knock sensors, any real sensors from hyundai, which in a way is a bad thing. Hope this helps.

Cheers Ryan
Old 09-16-2010, 02:19 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Another problem you'd face with an eclipse turbo manifold is the alternator position. You'd have to relocate it, which would lose your power steering.

With that said, the Neo is not a standalone and neither is the FI/C. The SAFC Neo is considered a piggyback, which can alter MAF readings, hence AFC = 'Air Flow Converter'. The FI/C is another piggyback that can do a lot more than the neo, mostly because of it's ability to alter timing.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:46 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

and IIRC the neo only adjusts when in WOT

or was that the SAFC

i cant remember
Old 09-16-2010, 07:49 AM

Vehicle: 2003/Hyundai/Tiburon

um, the words Epic..............................FAIL come to mind. Plus I've never heard of a 16B turbo. lol
Old 09-16-2010, 08:49 AM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

Think he Fat fingered lol 16G!

Also Lazyshot, The AEM Fic may not be a Standalone, But is the best thing next to it, when you find a stand alone to replace our ROM ECU please tell me, not that i will switch... haha The FIC for me has worked GREAT! It can control MORE and you will ever NEED! And the Fic is easy to use to, just instal the software on your computer and it will walk you through the whole setup! Still say to get a real= tune before you WOT!

O and Lazyshot Again AFC NEO stand for " AIR FUEL CONTROLLER"! It doesnt stand for 'Air Flow Converter'??? WTF does that mean anyway???

Anyway The SAFC is only one that has Kinda worked for people but it wont really be tuneable, most tuners just laugh when they ask you what kind of Piggyback you got, and you say NEO!

So Haltec, AEM FIC!
Choose one and use it, there both awesome and many many people that are boosted use one of the two!
Old 09-16-2010, 09:18 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^ The megasquirt replaces the ecu....
Old 09-16-2010, 09:20 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

not necessarily

you can run a megasquirt like a "piggyback" also

just have it setup to run fuel and timing knock stuff like that, but leave the stock computer connected to operate fans, speedo, abs, tach, etc

Old 09-16-2010, 09:21 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

That is true but if I were to invest money into the MS I would just run it as a standalone.