Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Fuel line size?

Old 01-14-2003, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel line size?

I'm planning on a 5 to 10 psi setup. I currently have a RRFPR (12:1) with a bleeder set up on it for tuning (that was a real work of art; I had fun at Home Depot's valve/tubing area smile.gif )

Anyway, back on topic: I also upgraded the fuel pump to a Mitsu GSX fuel pump.

I was wondering what diameter fuel hoses you all recommend or are using. Our existing return pipe is 1/4" tubing, so I figured AN-4 was a minimum. I already have some AN-6 stuff (3/8") for the oil lines, and was hoping that would be large enough to handle the extra flow and pressure. The RRFPR has 1/8" NPT holes for both the in and out sections.

I'm planning on cutting the return tubing short, installing a tubing to AN fitting. Then using some stainless steel braided line for the fuel lines. Not sure how I'll get it back to the tank-return line, but after all this plumbing, that should be easy. The only wildcard now is diameter. Any ideas?

Thanks,
ac
Old 01-15-2003, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

3/8" should be fine for your low boost setup. If you plan on going 400 WHP gonzo, you might want to consider upgrading to 1/2" and a higher flow fuel pump.
Old 01-15-2003, 01:36 AM

I think I'll keep it at AN-6 fittings. Aeroquip makes a banjo fitting that should fit our stock FPR (and replace the return tubing altogether). It's 12mm in the center; I'll have to take some measurements tonight to be sure.

Basically, I want to do it right first, so I don't have to "re-do" everything if I want to upgrade.

Thanks,
ac
Old 01-15-2003, 03:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Just make sure the bleed holes in the banjo fitting are large enough. If not, you might want to drill them out larger. Ditto for the holes in the banjo bolt itself.
Old 01-15-2003, 09:21 PM

Well our banjo fittings are 8mm, so I"m out of luck there, but that got me thinking: why not just put a direct fitting in the back end of the stock FPR? I measured the bolt last night, it's an 8mm x 1.25. I'll see what kind of adapter fittings are available for that.

I'll post a diagram with parts list later this week.

ac
Old 01-16-2003, 09:40 PM

Update:
I think I'm just going to put a clamped SS hose on the end of our return line and have the RRFPR on the driver side.

8mm x 1.25 banjo bolts are impossible to find, as are 8mm banjo bolts in general. Closest I could find was 10 mm or 7 mm. I"d have to drill the 7 mm, and the 10's are a too large (although some RX7 and DSM folks have had good luck with sealing washers for a 10mm banjo on an 8 mm bolt). This was supposed to be a simple part of the job and most of the options are now way too complicated.

So for now, I'm going to keep everything simple and just use slip-over (aka hose-seal) fittings.

FYI, for your turbo guys: www.bakerprecision.com is a great site and the people there are very friendly. You can source almost any line or fitting you need, including couplings, vacuum hose, flex hose, etc. www.summitracing.com has a lot, is a bit cheaper, but unless you know EXACTLY what you need, it's a bit harder to work with.

later all,
ac