Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Follow My Build

Old 01-29-2010, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000

Ok Guys I basicaly have all the bolt ons for my Tib so its time to take it a little furthur. Since tax season is upon us I have a car fund to play with. First things first I need to install my new trans in my car. This should happen this week end. I have been gathering knowledge reading all the build threads here and feel very comfortable turboing my car. I still have things to learn though so it will be a multi step process.

First: I need to learn how to tune and work with Megasquirt. I will be getting the stage 2+. My tax return should be here in about a week so I should have the megasquirt in a little over three weeks. once I get it I will be installing it while my car is still NA just so that i can get a feel for how tuning works. I will be getting a Wideband with it aswell so street tuning should be a decent option for me.

Second: Once i can understand what basic tuning intails i want to run low boost on the stock compression. Thinking around a max of 12 psi, but lower at first just to see what tuning a turbo intails. I am thinking a pretty basic setup that still has room for potential. I dont know how many of you Know the member Jattus that is on here but he has a online store that sells turbo kits for us. I was going to use the manifold and tdo5h-16g that he has just to get me started. I will also be getting a larger fuel pump(255lph) FPR(aeromotive) and larger injectors(may need help here. more below).

Third: When i feel comfortable with tuning and have had the turbo on for sometime with out any major problems i want to break the motor down and build it for big boost. New pistons, Rods,Head studs, Knife edgeing the crank, the whole nine yards. And once all that is complete start towards hitting the Big numbers.

Ok so now that you kinda have a little Knowledge on what i am working towards I can start asking a few questions. I want to order most of the turbo parts for the basic turbo set up the same time i order my computer. that way i have it on hand ready to go when i feel comfortable. I have most everything figured out (will throw up a list of parts later) except for the injectors. I want to go with 750 cc RC Enginering but am not sure what ones i will need. I know Our cars use a Saturated Type injector but not sure what style top will fit our Fuel rail. They have a few options on tops.

So in a nut shell here are my question

Does that turbo sound like something that is good to start out with? Remember i want it to have some room for growth.
What style injector will fit our cars?
Would converting to peak and hold injectors be a good option?
Can megasquirt be switched to peak and hold so i dont have to run resistors?

I will be checking this very often and hope everyone with knowledge will chime in. i will be asking more involved questions im sure once it comes time to figure out tuning.

Heres a list of whats done on my car currently.

Installed:

Aem intake
Airram intake manifold
65mm Throttle Body
SR 4-1 header
Motoria catback
Catco high flow cat
1.8l intake Cam
6 puck clutchnet clutch
Yellow clutchnet pressure plate
Fidanza flywheel
Koyo Radiator
Flex a lite fans.

Uninstalled:

Ksport coilovers
Drilled and slotted rotors.

will list more if i missed something.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:12 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

First, before any questions can be answered what are you horsepower goals?

A turbo setup isn't really something to start out with, but it looks like you have a lot of NA mods. It's the logical next step.

Well, what kind of budget are you willing to put into the entire build? Also it all depends on your strengths and the way you want your car.

If you are looking for a lower-end budget then take a look at the Evo 8 Manifold/Turbo. Otherwise a standard t3/t4 hybrid would do just fine. A lot of people suggest using the OBX manifold, but having a shop reinforce the welds. Another option is treadstone. I believe there are 2 treadstones in the for sale forum that are around $200. These will last practically forever.

Also it is not suggested for any stock engine to really exceed around 12 psi, which 750 cc would be a little excessive for. 500cc would be plenty for 12 psi.

Don't take it too quickly. Make sure you do it right the first time. If you don't feel comfortable tuning the car yourself, have a shop do it. A good tune will be the best investment. After you do plenty of reading you can play around with the maps. This will be the biggest time consuming part of the build. Reading and Research. You will need to research all the requirements and specifications for the goals you have in mind.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:33 AM

My goals once i get the motor built are going to be in the range of 350hp maybe 400. I doubt the TDO5H will get me there but like i said i am doing things in stages. Im definatly ready to turbo my car I have been doing research for a good couple years. Right now My budget for the basic setup is around 3k range maybe 4k

Here is the link were i plan on getting some of the basics seems to be a good deal and it will help out a fellow tib member.

http://www.jattus.com/Performance/turbo_parts_1.html

Here is what i am looking at getting from him:
TDO5H-16G (w/ water and oil fittings)
Turbo manifold
Downpipe
Oil Lines
oil drain drill guide.

I like the Idea of were he places the oil return. It does require me to drill into the block but it should be simple and he gives really good write-ups on his site.
I will Be sourcing my own water lines for the turbo because his pull out of the Radiator Hose and i am just going to pull off the back of the block were the throttle body lines are.

The reason i want to go with 750cc injectors is i dont want to have to buy bigger injectors when i build the block. Then again when i get that far i may buy new ones any way but for the time being i think 750cc should give me plenty of room for improvment. I know that my idle may not be ideal with large injectors but im sure they can get dialed in pretty good.

As for the other Supporting mods Fuel Pump, Regulator, etc I will post on them when i get home and have the list in front of me. I already do have a intercooler that i purchased off a member here about 6 months back. I still need to do the piping for it but need to wait till i get the motor back in the car.
Old 02-01-2010, 07:20 AM

I think your chosing a smart path by getting the majority of the components from Jattus. That way you know they all fit and work together. As for your other questions, here's my 2 pennies worth:

1) There's nothing wrong starting with a turbo build. Since you seem keen on the MegaSquirt I would start out with the internal wastegate disconnected so you build little to no boost. This allows you to get your off boost tuning down, as well as drive the car with the kit on it.

2) Most any style injector will fit your Beta 1 rail and manifold. A good start would be some 440cc Ford Racing Green Tops. Cheap and good for upwards of 15psi.

3) No need to go with peak and hold injectors for below 400HP. They do have slightly faster response time but the atomization isn't as great.

4) A MS expert will have to chime in on this, but I'm pretty sure the MS can do peak and hold w/o a resistor box.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:13 AM

^^^ Thanks Dmdicks. Maybe I will go with green tops to start with. Can get them for cheap so why not.

Most any Injector will fit our rail?? So if I were to buy some with a Denso Style top they would work fine? maybe just have to replace the o-ring on top if it wasnt the right size??
Old 02-04-2010, 06:47 AM

I should say most Bosch type II or III style injectors will work. Just go with the Ford ones and you'll be fine.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:02 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Drill into the block for oil return? You mean the pan I hope.

You can tap the block for the feed, or just use a sandwich plate at the filter (with restrictor).

I have RC engineering 440s, they're enough for my 10-12psi. 12psi is borderline risky on stock compression, why push it if the plan is to build the block later anyway. I would stay at around 10psi.

That turbo might be a kinda small if you want to push it to big numbers in the future.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:23 AM

^^ The kit Jattus makes gives you a drill guide that you actually do drill into the block between the crank for the oil return. Oil pan would be just as easy but for some reason, I may be wrong, but i like the idea of the block a little better.

This turbo will not be the one i use once i get the block built up. I will be going with a Gt30 or maybe a Gt35. I just want something to get me started for the time being and go from there. I still have lots to learn about turbos and how they work. I have a lot of knowledge on them from research and reading endless sources but not much hands on experience.

On another note:

Got a new Transmission for my car. Installed that and the engine last night. just have to fill her up with fluids and then start her up and make sure every thing is running good then its time to start ordering parts and getting it all fit up.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Drilling the block near the bottom where there is nothing important could be fine, as long as you don't hit the rotating assembly and the oil pan was dropped so you could take care of the shavings. It'd be way easier for someone without a welder to drill & tap a hole in the cast iron, than to weld a bung on the pan.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:41 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

^ Yeah but you can pay any shop like $15 to weld a fitting in a return pan. I don't understand why you would bother to drill the block, as was said the oil pan should need to come off anyway.