Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Fabricating My Own Manifold

Old 05-16-2008, 02:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

in an effort to get a cheap manifold with the design i want and without going through having money in the hands of people i dont trust i will be making a turbo manifold for my slow-going boost project this summer. i got pretty damn good at welding for my sae mini baja class and feel like i could definitely produce a kickass part.

what i need from those who have already done this is suggestions on thickness of metal(16 gauge ok if it's braced?) and a good online supplier for mandrel bends, if i dont end up going local. needs to be stainless. what diameter pipe for the runners? will a machined surface with a nice endmill be adequate for flanges? what thickness for those?

another question on the particular turbo i'm using. it has the 5bolt turbine outlet with the internal wastegate. i've seen different designs to deal with this, two separate tubes joining downstream, and then also just one big area where the outlet from the wastegate and turbine directly meet. ie...

vs

which is better?

its going to be similar to this one, with the turbo a good amount of distance away from the alternator. no external wastegate needed...

Attachment 486
Old 05-16-2008, 03:11 AM

you said it is going to be similar to "this one" but I dont see "this one" on here at all lol
Old 05-16-2008, 03:29 AM

yeah i dont know, picture disappeared for a second. back up now.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:50 AM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

i wouldn't go any lower than 16 ga. but i bet you would have problems finding 14 ga. mandrel bent pieces. what do you mean by braced? never seen anyone brace a exhaust manifold before.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:54 AM

a bunch of the obx manifolds had a brace welded from the turbine inlet flange to the header flange, to help with the weight of the turbo.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:47 AM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

for thickness of the flanges i wouldnt go no thinner than 3/8".

using a endmill to produce a flat surface is something i wouldn't do. see if you can find a machine ship that has a minimum of 4" in a multi inserted facing tool.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:39 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

i have 20 ss-304 elbows tha have been polished do you want to buy them they are T-3 in thickness it what we use over here.. to give you a ideal here is a pic of what i made with them

or you can make this .

Old 05-16-2008, 07:53 AM

thinking of it urson, i do have access to a facing tool. i have access to just about all of my university's machine shops.

can you pm me a price mj? i won't have the funds for probably a month but i am definitely interested.

welding up that merge collector is going to be fun. cool.gif
Old 05-16-2008, 09:03 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

this is what every tunning shop here in korea uses to make i/c piping, exhaust systems and turbo manifold and is what i used to make manifolds, it takes some skill to uses and you would do things that would be diffrent buy american standard but its what you need to make the bends and cuts the pie pecies like i have done in the picture. its a dam good investment

http://bosch.cpotools.com/grinders_and_met...hines/3814.html
Old 05-16-2008, 09:09 AM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX

Hey, check out verociousmotorsports.com tibby; that is where I got all my parts for my kit (didn't make my own manifold though - lazy, haha). But I actually went and picked everything up since they are in wilmington, de. But they will ship to you if you want.

I'm telling you they have just about ANYTHING you could ever need for any part on a turbo car as far as piping and flanges go, definately check out that website and you will see. Most everything on their website they have in stock so...

Ask for alex if you call them.