Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

EXTERNAL WASTEGATES!!

Old 06-06-2002, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EXTERNAL WASTEGATES!!

Which External wastegates are the easiest and best taht would bolt up to my Alpine manifold.The boost is creeping and i need to go External.Im looking for a 5PSI wastegate.
If anyone knows a cheap place that sells them please let me know Thanks!
Old 06-06-2002, 08:29 AM

I also forgot to mention when going with an External wastegate is it best to weld shut the Flapper on the Turbo,or is there a better solution.
I was looking towars a Turbo Smart External Wastegate put they only make a 7 and 14Psi wastegate.I was looking more towards the 5-6psi MARK!!
I believe HKS makes a 5PSi wastegate
Anyone know where is a cheap place that sells them?
Old 06-06-2002, 09:06 AM

im going with the turbonetics deltagate mark 2.
the one i have has got a 3-5 pound spring in it but you can put in whatever you wish.

onpol, and random both use this same wastegate. i dont know about red. ive never seen pics of his engine. you can get them on ebay for 200-300
Old 06-06-2002, 10:04 AM

With the turbonetics deltagate mark 2 wastegate would it be a Bitch to weld to a CAST iron manifold.I dont want it to crack or anything.
Old 06-06-2002, 02:21 PM

welding pot metal can be difficult, but it can be done. just takes someone who knows what their doing. i dont see how you will run an external wastegate without haveing to weld it.
Old 06-06-2002, 03:03 PM

you dont welld them. weld a flange into the manifold, put in a gasket and bolt it in.

Thats how it is done...

see what I mean, it bolts in, does not weld in.
Old 06-06-2002, 05:37 PM

Sorry,

But that is a horrible design for a wastegate mount.

1. Outlet is 90 degree to the flow.
2. Outlet is "wasting" the flow from only one cylinder.

That thing will give you more boost creep than a small internal flapper wastegate.
Hope you didn't pay money for that manifold.
Old 06-06-2002, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

AzzY:
onpol, and random both use this same wastegate.
Not me. The Alpine kit used the built in wastegate on the TD04E.

Simply put, with the design of the alpine Log manifold...good luck welding an external wastegate to .5" cast iron.

You'd be better off drilling a large hole, grinding a gasket/mounting surface flat, and tapping thread holes.
Old 06-07-2002, 01:02 AM

I don't understand what is the point of making a car turbo to run 5-6 psi of boost.With the set up you have it is ok to run 10 psi safely.Stock internals will hold the 10 psi your toy turbo is generating if that your main concern.If you still want to empty your wallet buy a deltagate with a 5-6 psi spring,a flange from turbonetics to weld it to the manifold,2 bolts and take it to your local machine shop or welder.Then you will have to figure out where you will fit the extra tube for the expelled gases from the wastegate and make it to route it up to your exhaust.Too much **** involved if you don't have a good shop or machinist near.And remember that you will be bore of 5-6 soon and then you will want more boost so keep your set up and enjoy it as it is.Save your $ and buy pistons and rods if you want to be extra carefull.
Old 06-07-2002, 02:22 AM

Vehicle: 1997 accent L

I'm going to say this again: your shop is taking you for a ride. YOU DONT NEED AN EXTERNAL WASTEGATE for that low amount of boost. If the internal wastegate you have now is showing boost creep, try porting the wastegate out more, try redoing hte o2 housing, try a larger turbo, etc BEFORE you get an external wastegate.

Hell, why not just say to hell with the creep and buy pistons and rods. Then you dont have to worry about creep (as much) because the engine can handle it, and you will probably be running higher boost anyways. It might even be cheaper to get the rods and pistons in over making the external wastegate work.