Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Exclusive: Hyundai 3.3 Turbo GDi V6 Engine

Old 02-19-2015, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Genesis 2.0T
Default Exclusive: Hyundai 3.3 Turbo GDi V6 Engine

http://thekoreancarblog.com/2015/02/...gdi-v6-engine/

We are all excited about the next-generation of the Genesis Coupe and intrigued as to what new features will come with it.

We told you before Hyundai is planing to use the 3.3L engine on the next generation and at the time the engine was pushing 395 HP, and there was no information about the V8 TAU engine.

Our good friends at Blood Type Racing attended the Chicago Autoshow, displaying their Genesis Coupe BTR Edition. They provided us with some pictures of the new Hyundai 3.3 Turbo GDi engine never shown before, with features and specification information on the monitor display.

The main feature of course are the Twin-Turbo on this engine, they are very small in size but if you like modding your car, then you’ll know what to swap out first.

We also have this Intermediated CVVT (I-CVVT) we are not exactly sure what they mean by that but talking to couple Hyundai/Kia Tech and researching about CVVT on new engines, we find out that the new 2016 2.0T Sorrento have an E-CVVT cover compare to the other years, that don’t have it. Thank you Adam Donnelly for helping us research on this subject.

We are not sure if that’s what they meant, so we contacted Hyundai and we will update this article when we get an answer.

Next is specifications, and we now find a Horsepower and Torque graph. They have tune them at 365 hp and 379 torque. The only problem now is, what about the 3.8L N/A engine with 348 hp and 295 torque? We see a big difference in torque but horsepower the new 3.3L only makes 27 hp more.

With all that said, the N/A used to have more HP than the 2.0 Turbo engine for the Genesis Coupe, are we going to see another N/A engine replacing the 3.8L? We don’t know anything new about a N/A engine but as soon as we do, we’ll make sure to let you guys know.

Old 02-19-2015, 02:07 PM
Administrator

At almost 400 horses, just imagine what this thing will be capable of, once you toss in a tune, bigger turbos, and some injectors.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

A very expensive paperweight?

There must be a reason that they went with such small turbos. I'm gonna bet they are maxed out from the factory. Look at how close they are to the block. Also, I doubt they can be internally modified, so...

2 larger turbos

1 spider web of a manifold for a V6 and turbo relocation

Custom down pipe with exhaust system

Injectors x6

Tune

All of that has to be done at the same time, so you're looking at a $9k-12k turbo system upgrade.
Old 02-19-2015, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

Called it.

Here it is being tested:

https://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/f...-v8-underhood/
Old 02-19-2015, 07:18 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Am I the only one who noticed the flat-top torque curve on the so-called dyno sheet?
Old 02-20-2015, 05:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2003/Hyundai/Tiburon

With Direct Injection most times you will exceed the capabilities of the engine before maxing out the stock injectors. I could see this engine making upwards of 500hp with a simple turbo upgrade and re-tune. I'm betting with a re-tune alone 400-420hp at crank is doable. About damn time Hyundai!
Old 02-20-2015, 06:15 AM
Administrator

I think people will start taking Hyundai a little more serious now with the new GC coming out. Although, Hyundai cant cheap out on the interior, transmission, or other parts. It could have all the power in the world, but if it creaks, has a sloppy shifter, or the transmission easily grenades...then people will laugh and pass on it.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:30 AM

Vehicle: 2003/Hyundai/Tiburon

Yeah, and don't forget KEEP THE WEIGHT DOWN!

The have the ability to make a world beater but then usually cheap out at last minute. I would love to read a review of the new GC spanking the new Crustang.. lol
Old 02-20-2015, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: Two Accents, Mini, Miata, Van, Outback, and a ZX-6

Originally Posted by Stocker
Am I the only one who noticed the flat-top torque curve on the so-called dyno sheet?

That's normal for a turbocharged engine. That's where the wastegate is holding boost when the turbos would be capable of making more.

I'm really interested in seeing how this Coupe turns out. If done right there's a LOT of potential here.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:40 PM

Vehicle: X3 Sprint, S-Coupe Turbo

Ignoring peak horsepower for a moment,

1. The turbos are there for emissions only

2. That dyno graph will have been made in 6th gear starting at 10mph under as much load as possible

3. Enjoy dealing with that engine bay when it's done 60k miles and it's time for a major service. Look at the tooling space around those turbos! Reminds me of the 3000GT/GTO/stealth: