Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Ericy's Turbo Questions

Old 04-07-2008, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Im going to use this thread for questions that pop up as I get it running and drive it a little bit. I have it running on stock ecu right now. Not boosting or anything but just running waiting for the MEgasquirt to come. I drove it home from storage real easy and it ran fine. Here is my concern:

When I got home it started to smoke. Bad. So I got underneath and saw some oil. Thought for sure it was my return so didnt think to much of it and tightened it. Small drive around the block, same thing. Realized I had no O2 sensor in the bung in the downpipe and felt in there and there was my oil. First thought was turbo seals.

Here is my feed setup. It uses a sandwich plate, has a 90 degree into the turbo and is -3AN line. What I did now was take the bung that goes into the turbo with the 90 degree on it and tap part of it for a set screw. I then drilled through that so it was restricting. I think its maybe .040.

Questions:
1. I cant imagine that driving it maybe 4 miles would have blown out the seals if the pressure was to high.
2. Is my restrictor about right size? Couldnt find a number in search so not sure if I should go bigger/smaller. I can do either without a problem
3. Any other place this oil could be coming from? I think its leaking some at the turbo at the return but smoke was coming out of the exhaust at first, now it is only dripping a little out of the O2 bung and from the return line at the turbo so that gives me hope that my restrictor is good.
4. Is there any good way to get the oil out of the exhaust before I put my wideband sensor in? I dont want to wreck it at all.

Next situation: Injectors. I have some low impedance 550 RC injectors I bought but they seem to fit loose in the rail. I did have the Ford racing 440s at one point but sold them because they were just sitting. Are there any low impedance (I would like low because they are more common and cheaper to get higher CC) injectors that will fit right that anyone knows of? I should be able to run low impedance with my standalone without adding resistors I think.

Thanks guys. I will have more as I get the standalone in and actually get to drive it.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:42 AM

Anyone 02.gif
Old 04-09-2008, 12:14 PM

Question
1. i agree completely. probably didn't blow.
3. on my return to the pan, it drips slightly from the turbo, an u can see on my car that it runs along the return. ive seen this on the dsm's b4 too.
4. would you be able to maybe take off the downpipe and just clean it? that would prob be easier if u relocated ur alternator. i know that on mine it would be wayyy to much work because my alternator is in the way so badly. but that is probably how i would end up doing it.

i remember having the injectors hooked up to my rail, and they fit snug..i thought at least. so my apolgies about them again. i still have the 440's and haven't used them yet. I myself have been toying with the idea of a duel rail to eliminate these ones, but i haven't looked thoroughly into it. if all else fails for you, we can discuss getting them back to you if you need them, because i have no idea when my project will get going.

this post probably didn't help much, but i hope the 2nd opinion at least helped. good luck.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:08 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

You probably have 11mm o-rings instead of 14mm. Check em.
Old 04-09-2008, 01:50 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

ericy,

what is the story on the turbo? is it new or used?
Old 04-09-2008, 05:19 PM

Brand New. I bought it a while back and had it running maybe 10 minutes total with just the -3AN and the 90 on there. Did a lot of cranking though but I dont think that would matter because the pressure shouldnt be that high.

And Adam, these arent even the same injectors anymore. I had to get rid of those to take care of some bills now I ended up with some RC 550s. I will try a different O-ring and see if I can get them to work for me. I wish I would have kept those because they fit good and I could easily use them with the Megasquirt.

My downpipe is more than just that. The idiot who made my exhaust made it one piece all the way to the axle back. This will be taken care of when I put the new motor in though. And I dont think I can even unbolt it from the turbo because of how the holes are with the huge downpipe. I may just drop the turbo and do it though to make sure its done leaking through. Im pretty sure my only leak now is the damn return line. Im going to try to tighten it. I have AN stuff on the way but I dont have the right pan tap to use it yet because I was just going to use it with my new motor thats going in on Saturday to the machine shop.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:28 PM

That's a bummer about the exhaust being like that. Thats really the only way of cleaning I can think of because I am unaware of any sparys, foams, etc. Plus I dunno how you'd get them there anyways, you'd have to pull the exhaust off somewhere. At least if it has to come off you can thoroughly inspect it, which is probably best.
When I first got mine finally running, it was leaking in the same manner your seems to be, mine was under the turbo on the very begining of the return system. I just ended up tightening and maintaining them. It gets hot, just follow the same principles you would if you had just installed a new header. I should have read your post about the injectors better..the ones i'm thinking of were denso 660cc i think. My mistake.

I'm going to continue to follow this thread because I'm sure I'll run into issues similar to some you may have in the future, so please keep us informed.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:35 PM

Like I said the first couple short drives there was a lot of smoke out of the exhaust. That is gone now. Just a few drips when I shut it off so I think my turbo leak problem into the exhaust is gone. Im bringing it home this weekend again to work on it probably. Hoping I have my standalone by then and Ill get it all cleaned up and tightened hopefully.

And ya they were the Densos. Wish I would have hung on to them. They fit nice and tight but maybe with new O-rings I can make these work. I hope.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:21 PM

Anyone else got anyhting to add?
Old 04-22-2008, 07:21 PM

So, turbo seals ARE blown. Drove it the other day and today a bit and at startup and idle its fine but once I drive it and let it get a little boost I get tons of smoke out the exhaust. So my next project is putting the new seals in. I really would love this to be answered though:

How big of a restrictor should be used from the oil filter tap? Right now Im at about .040.