Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Equal Length vs Log Manifold

Old 05-05-2011, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 tib
Default Equal Length vs Log Manifold

So after lots of begging and pleading with the wife, she has given me the ok to finally turbo my car. So, I took a little trip downtown to a shop that does all kinds of turbo fabrication and installation on cars, and has a good history and reputation for quality work. They build all kinds of manifolds from scratch. I can have them build me a total one off custom equal length or log style manifold, or look for ones online somewhere.

First question

Which is the better manifold to go with, equal length or log style?

Second question

Should I just have them build me a custom one off one or try and search for a good company online somewhere that sells one of those styles that I decide to go with?
Old 05-05-2011, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

equal length is always BETTER for performance, but in my opinion not necessary on your everyday setup or even mid range setup.. Brian (a guy who bought a kit from me) dyno'd @ 264hp @ 12psi on a super 60.

the ones on ebay are cheap and not worth it in my opinion (obx style and the new top mounted WG style)

I would personally save your pennies and go with a cast treadstone manifold (which i sell in my kits) bullet proof and will outlast your car and cheaper than any custom manifold you could buy.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:46 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

I got my custom manifold, Spools awesome, and very one off! No one else will has one yet, idt!

Want one just like this Pm i will work you a deal on a price!
Old 05-05-2011, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

here is the treadstone installed..

few things i really like about it.. 300$... lifetime warranty.. cast... keeps the turbo high (good for drain).. and you can see the purdy turbo
Old 05-05-2011, 07:51 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I got the flange, ordered the elbows, and had mine welded as a log for roughly 250 bux

Build a log or get one from socks the equal length is nice but not necessary until you push real power, at which you can sell the log and get a equal

For now, spend the money on a proper fuel setup and just go with a log

Hopefully by next month ill see if I end up dynoing 400+ HP with my current manifold
Old 05-06-2011, 08:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vehicle: 2006 Kia Spectra5

Turboron_99 ... Ricky made a jig when he made yours. No jig for mine though. I asked him last week about yours, I have a friend looking for a kit .... almost a grand for another one. Even a log is over $500, but its all stainless schedule 40 with a machined flange.

Unless your racing or building a dyno queen, a log is the way to go. Although, if your running something besides a Tiburon, which have a whole lot of room, custom might be your only choice.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

in short, spend 300$ on the treadstone...

no custom work, no welds to possibly crack, off the shelf product that will outlast your car, you and your future kids..
Old 05-06-2011, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

If you want cheap/quick, go log.

If you want under 350-400 hp, and can deal with a bit of turbo lag, go log.

If you want a faster spooling turbo go equal length (dual chambered, paring odd firing cylinders, with a split turbo is the best you can do, but it's over kill for 99% of applications)

If you want more than 350-400 hp, go equal length.

Now, be realistic. Really. Think about the problems you'll encounter if you try to put 350-400+ hp through a front wheel drive car. Do you REALLY want those hassles and expense?

Didn't think so. A log manifold will be just fine.

yes, equal length look much sexier, but unless you're going to do car shows and show off your engine, less than 100 people in the world will really ever look under your hood. Is it worth your extra money to impress 100 people, most of which you won't ever see/spend time with. Take that money and invest it for your retirement.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:51 PM

Vehicle: 2003/Hyundai/Tiburon

Or you can buy my used Maintec Race Equal Len Turbo Manifold in the for sale section. Never cracked and flows AWESOME! Retail 900 usd 400 Shipped.

You can see pics of it installed HERE

Sorry for the shameless plug. ;-)
Old 05-10-2011, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator

^^^incredible deal.. i almost want to buy it just to hang on the wall!!