Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Engine Swap

Old 07-20-2005, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do we have a decent engine we can swap into our tibs? Hondas have Integras.... do we have a selection or are we stuck yet again?
Old 07-20-2005, 11:21 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

ok ive seen b16s with a minor build blow the motor after 8psi

ive seen stock beta motors run on 17 psi

our motors actually do rock if you mess with them
Old 07-20-2005, 11:31 AM

yupyup faith is correct.
Old 07-20-2005, 12:06 PM

Unless you want to try and swap the engine from the Evo8 (it faces the correct way) there is not a whole lot you can do. The Beta is basically the biggest 4 cylinder that Hyundai makes that is worth having (the 2.4 does not count) and the V6 does not fit and it is not worth the added agrivation in the horsepower to work ratio for the amount of HP it has stock and what you can do with it.

The Delta V6 is a weak engine, it will blow up at it;s Max HP before the engine in your tib will.
Old 07-20-2005, 01:07 PM

Uhm, there's a Tib engine that is sold in a shop in Quebec that goes for $7K, however it produces 200whp..

http://www.supertech.riki.ca/index.html

Note: Stock Tib engines produce around 115-120whp, I believe.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:45 PM

that may be true.. but you can top 300hp with boosting them...
Old 07-20-2005, 03:48 PM

The answer is no. Hyundais are not Hondas. It's not even remotely close to the high HP output (and almost zero torque) engines. We are more close to DSMs, mostly because Mitsu helped Hyundai when they started out. 'course...Mitsu gave Hyundai some hand-me-down engines (SOHC 2.4L 4G64, 4G63 non-turbo, 3.0L 6G72 copy, etc). Yeah. They weren't great.

Like Mad said...you can do a 4G63T swap. However, that would be illegal in the states, because you CANNOT swap different make engines into any car after 1995. And well....Tibs are outta luck.

And to clarify, the 2.7L is not weak. It was one of those fallacies that ricers created. A bunch of ricers decided to use nitrous on the 2.7L, and once the 2.7L engine blew at around 300hp, everyone assumed that the block was limited. Of course...so many people have proven that wrong, as companies such as NGM [Next Gen Motorsports]have been working on a twin turbo 2.7L engine setup (rumored to be pushing near 600HP). As far as a I know, there have been successful setups that have been doing 300-400whp (including single turbo setups to Ripps SDS, specifically the SDS system that is on the company's Tib, excluding customers/clients/sponsors).

Delta block can be built up to support high HP, like many others...but like it has been discussed in the past (go do a search) dropping the V6 into our cars requires extensive modifications.

And no...the Delta engine weighs considerably less than you think. In fact, it weighs around the same ball park as the Beta engine. But dropping a V6 and keeping it FWD is a huge disappointment and a waste of money, unless you're going to drop in a AWD tranny.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:04 PM

well, I guess I stand corrected on the strength of the Delta block. Last I had heard the aluminum was quite soft and unable to support even "case savers" to hold it together tighter...

And yes, because the v6 is an aluminum block it does weight near to what the iron blocked Beta weighs.. However, I do not know how much all it's ancilleries might weight. Unlike an inline four, you need two exhaust manifolds, more exhaust piping, a larger intake.. Also because of the shape of the V6, it puts more of it's mass further forward in the chassis than the inline 4.

*edit*

Just occured to me... we COULD get around the law on engine swaps. It says you cannot swap from another make.. technically you could get your hands on a hyundai version of the 4g63 (non-turbo) gut it to the block.. and rebuild it using all the parts from the 4g63T that the evo has... including the head. The block would still be hyundai. Not sure how far fetched that idea might be.. but it is interesting.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:37 PM

See...I was thinking about that...even though it's a SOHC 4G63, I think there's a conversion for the 4G63 DOHC head...I forget...vfaq.com should have something about the DSM.

However...yes, the irritating "however,"...the law that says we can't swap different make engines into '95+ cars says we can't swap an older engine than the year of the car. So...the '95 car can only benefit from an engine swap of the same make and same year or newer.

Bah. The laws in this country are blatantly retarded, and anti-tuning.
Old 07-20-2005, 04:44 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Okay, let's break it down.

SUBJECT OF THIS THREAD - SWAPS FOR A RD SERIES TIB. What can we easily swap in?

The answer.

Nothing.

As for the Delta's being a POS, they are, hence why the Koreans don't even tune them much. Rumored' HP ratings, are just that, rumors, untill proven otherwise. I'm super happy Ripp has done 300 HP (I've heard about it but never SEEN anything about it), but I've also heard they've blown 4 motors on that tib.