Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Engine Build Complete - Auto Turbo

Old 04-30-2006, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My new setup is finally done. After using the ROSS Forged pistons, I wasn’t pleased with the amount of "acceptable" clearances. Weisco overbore pistons are a much better choice for the crown design is more efficient, and also clearances are much closer. The weisco pistons also have a special coating on the walls which assist with break-in. The cylinder bores were overbore to 82.5mm and a "diamond" hone was used (I believe that’s what it was). This helps aid the rings during the break-in process. Initial break-in is completed with the rings around 100miles with this special hone. I'm going to find out the name to it, because it was an optional service compared to the standard honing.

The entire short block, including the crank shaft, rods, pistons, were completely balanced. This on a conservative level yields a 15-20% overall engine power increase.

Completed Short Block

The Head of the motor was already ported and polished. The intake ports were increased in size, as well as the exhaust ports. The valves were also polished. (Note: the intake ports do have a texture, however it’s not fully depicted on the pictures, however a texture (course, but not too course, will aid in fuel atomization).

Ported and Polished Head

The exchaust is fuel straight through, with a high flow cat converter, and a glasspack. Even with the cat on, you still "smell" the fuel in a way when behind me, although my wideband reads 13.5 during cruising, this is exceptable for a straight through system. Im actually debating about puting a normal 2.5 cat converter because this is an everyday driver. Power loss will be bare min.

The ECU was re-flashed for my new 440cc injectors. On RDTIBURON.com there is a post by airborne mentioning that i'm the first in the US to use his new re-flashed ecu system which is far more superior to Real-Engineering brand. The ignition timing is on target, as well as my a/f ratio for my 15psi boost. In the coming months, I may increase, but I do have a decent + - margin that I can still utilize my safc2 safely along with my MSD Digital ignition system

Wire Management will be addressed soon!

The PCV Valve System was another area that researched. Using a duel PCV system (using 2 valves in line) I have a safety factor when in boost. With the new pcv in line of the other pcv, any boost that leaks out (VERY MINIMAL) is completely sealed before making it to the primary PCV valve. An oil catch can i used between the 2 pcv valves, to keep any oil that is released trapped in the catch can. The breather port of the head is routed to the turbo intake (not charge pipe) to relieve any pressure.

Garret T3 Super 60, water/oil cooled, with a 360 thrust bearing upgrade is being used on this setup.

The Automatic Transmission is utilizing duel coolers, along with the stock cooler in this fashion:
Transmission ----> radiator (stock cooler) ------> Transmission Cooler #1 ----------> Transmission Cooler #2 --------> Transmission.

The Spark Plugs are NGK 7's, gapped at 0.032. Magnecore ignition wires are used, as well as the MSD DIS 2 Digital Ignition System

A Walbro 190lph Fuel Pump is used, with 440cc fuel injectors.

The engine has about 200 miles on it, and there is no visible sign of ANY oil consumption. More pics and progress will be posted.

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2006, 06:33 PM

should have gone to a 255 walbro and a nice aftermarket aeromotive fuel reg
Old 04-30-2006, 06:34 PM

na, works just fine the way it is, a/f ratio and timing are both in check.
Old 04-30-2006, 06:47 PM

what im saying is... what are your power goals?
Old 04-30-2006, 07:42 PM

Depends on a bunch of factors, but im steadily rising the power of my car as it breaks in. Depending on where I hit my fuel limit is when ill go to a bigger fuel pump. Right now, even at 15 psi im still rich. I raised the boost to 19psi for a little bit and i was still in the rich zone (had to make a minor adjustment to the safc2, but holding at 11.5 a/f ratio)
Old 04-30-2006, 08:32 PM

ur running a fully built motor with an SAFC?
Old 04-30-2006, 09:30 PM

Christs sake damnit.gif

It's W I S E C O. Wiseco, not weisco or wiesco as many a member type out. /endrant and joke.gif btw

Other than that, that is one very thought out and well planned turbo setup. Congrats, I'm jealous smile.gif

Thank you for your time.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:47 PM

QUOTE (Viper966 @ Apr 30 2006, 10:32 PM)
ur running a fully built motor with an SAFC?

I dont want to put a standalone system in my car. I had the ECU reflashed by Airborne, and its working just great. SAFC is just for minor fuel adjustments and for looks.
Old 04-30-2006, 09:59 PM

ok, i forgot about that, i was thinking u wer running ONLY a SAFC... then u were gonna get smacked
Old 04-30-2006, 10:02 PM

lol lmao.gif