Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Do you lose gas mileage after installing a turbo?

Old 11-28-2011, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon
Default Do you lose gas mileage after installing a turbo?

Because the engine is using more fuel to increase hp? How much more mileage do you lose?
Old 11-28-2011, 12:14 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

It depends on the car and application. When I'm on the interstate at higher RPMs, the turbo actually helps my gas mileage because it maintains speed easier. When I'm driving around town, my small little turbo is boosting every time I hit 2,000 RPM so my mileage goes down QUICK. Larger turbos will build boost slower and probably have better MPG for daily driving in the city. That would be my guess. But MPG should never be a factor when considering to turbo a vehicle.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

the turbo itself will NOT decrease your mileage.. it will depend on how you drive the car..

when I boosted my Tiburon and drove normally (hardly any boost) my mileage was still great.. obviously though, if you are WOT all the time and romping on it, the gas mileage will drop a lot.

Driving style is the biggest factor into your mileage, whether you are turbo or not.

Hopefully this puts it into perspective... its just estimates, nothing calculated..

Driving normal (responsible) N/A = XXmpg

Driving normal (responsible) F/I = XXmpg

Driving like you stole it N/A = .85 x XXmpg

Driving like you stole it F/I = .75 x XXmpg

XXmpg is based off of what you normally would see driving and shifting at lower rpms..
Old 11-28-2011, 04:22 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

My in town didnt change, How ever my Highway gas mileage changed, and when boosted I now get like 36 miles to the gallon on the interstate "Crusing" Not WOT passing people and junk!
Old 11-28-2011, 09:26 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Elantra

^^^^^ perfection
Old 11-28-2011, 09:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I always thought it would be neat to pick a turbo with the efficiency sweet spot on the compressor map coincident with highway cruising engine speed, displacing exactly what the engine breathes.
Old 11-29-2011, 02:43 PM

Vehicle: 2000 tib

definately...Turbo = faster car= more gas=lower milage=more fun!!
Old 11-29-2011, 07:57 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Elantra

lol regit thats so true
Old 11-29-2011, 10:55 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Originally Posted by Stocker
I always thought it would be neat to pick a turbo with the efficiency sweet spot on the compressor map coincident with highway cruising engine speed, displacing exactly what the engine breathes.

You shouldn't be making boost when cruising along on the highway. The engine is only making a small fraction of its power when cruising, and the way that happens is you are throttling (restricting) the air that's coming in. It would be pretty dumb/inefficient to have something force air into the almost closed throttle plate. So good luck finding a compressor with a sweet spot at pressure ratio 1.0

A turbo can decrease highway mileage by 5-10% because it is a small restriction on the exhaust side (even if it's not building boost). Generally the bigger the turbo the smaller the restriction so you lose less mileage. In the city you can expect the mileage to go down more, depending on how you drive it.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:30 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

All depends on the weight of your right foot. My average mileage increased to 33mpg, average speed 35mph per tank. At the track I'd get like 18mpg.