Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

decompression gaskets

Old 01-16-2016, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon
Default decompression gaskets

are decompression gaskets really that bad??? i have been researching pistons, conrods, decomp gaskets etc, and have drawn the conclusion that, considering cost as a factor, for low boost applications, standard compression standard internals can be used, for 'medium' boost, [say up to 16psi?] decompression gaskets are the go, and high boost, forged internals are necessary.

so for 'medium' boost applications a decomp gasket will do fine, of course forged internals would be better, but if the difference is $200 to $2500 a DG seems ok to me.

i have heard no horror stories about DG's with 'medium' boost. they seem ok, why do so many people bag them. they do the job dont they? many company's sell turbo kits for cars with decompression plates AND a warranty...

am i wrong?
Old 01-17-2016, 12:15 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Elantra GLS Sportswagon

The general consensus is the stock beta engine is good for around 300hp if you get there anyways, if you want a fast car buy one.

And to the question regarding decompression gaskets is there is a greater chance of failure and a loss off hp.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:52 PM

Vehicle: MC + RD2 + AW11 + 944 = 4x Win

It's a cheap option. The question is how long do you plan to run around on a Jerry-rigged motor? a decompression plat can be source for $200 where forged pistons are 500 retail and you might be able to find them even less.

For my money there is no replacement for a proper build.... Says the guy on year 3 of this motor build.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:52 AM

Vehicle: 2003/Hyundai/Tiburon

Just stay away! The headaches of getting those things to seal properly as well as the problem of getting timing marks to line up between the crank and cam are not worth the headache. Besides a stock beta in good health will run rings around a similar engine with a low comp gasket.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:42 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon

Originally Posted by 03tibe85
Just stay away! The headaches of getting those things to seal properly as well as the problem of getting timing marks to line up between the crank and cam are not worth the headache. Besides a stock beta in good health will run rings around a similar engine with a low comp gasket.

Lowering the compression does make the beta ii suck on the low end but I've been running the decompression gasket from kspec for years on a stock engine. 25,000 miles @ 250whp, 5,000 miles @ 350whp (broken third gear twice) and 400whp a shed load of times down the drag strip and the motor is still running great. To be honest I can't prove that the decompression gasket has saved my motor but I believe it certainly helps give an extra safely margin if running stock internals. As for timing belt problems etc I didn't have any problems installing the belt I just had to adjust the tensioner accordingly.