Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Cracked Mani

Old 07-01-2010, 12:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon
Default Cracked Mani

I previously in the year tried to fit an evo 8 manifold onto the head, but i ended up practically destroying it, but I still have the evo 8 turbo and downpipe. After that I purchased the treadstone manifold and a Garrett T3 .60 trim m11.

The other weekend I started to install it. The weekend was coming closer and closer to an end, which meant I had to drive back home. Home being school/work, which is about an 1.5 hours away. The only things I had left to do were install the FIC, Injectors, and oil lines.

So, I didn't really have much time left, so I pulled off the IC & piping and put my CAI back on. I pulled the actuator arm off the wastegate flapper and called it done. I figured it wouldn't spool up and cause damage to the turbo(lack of oil lines), but I figured in 1 week what could happen? Well, I ran it for that week and I as I arrived back into town I checked under the hood to find that my treadstone manifold was cracked.

I bought the manifold off of someone and the warranty specifically says it only covers the original purchaser and when professionally installed. So after kicking and fussing I pulled it off and put the stock exhaust mani/cat back on. Well, after doing that I walked over to check the status of the turbo and found quite a bit of play.

So now that the treadstone is done, and the garrett has some play, I'm either thinking I should buy an OBX manifold and rebuild the Garrett or I can buy a new evo 8 manifold and have it sent off to be port/bolt matched. Either way I'm going to rebuild the Garrett, but if I go evo, I'm going to do it a lot later and resell it.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:51 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Accent

Are you saying you ran it with out the oil lines? If so I'm sure that's not good. My turbo still boosts some with the waste gate held open.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:00 PM

Vehicle: 2003/Hyundai/Tiburon

Man I thought those treadstone manifolds were uncrackable. Guess not. You should have known better to have a turbo sitting there without oil. Even with the wastgate disconnected the hot exhaust gas will still try and spin the turbine. The oil serves two purposes. To lubricate and cool. You robbed the turbo of two critical things it needs so of course it failed. Chances are the Turbine shaft is now scored so badly it cannot be polished so your better off buying a new turbo.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:40 PM

You're right. It was hastely made decision. Should definitely have taken the extra night and drove home in the morning.

I might just buy a new t3 manifold and turbo.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:12 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Tiburón GT

i have an extra oem evo 8 manifold, the exhaust ports have already been enlarged. let me know if you are interested.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:00 AM

Has the bolt pattern been bored out and fitted? The hotside piping is quite different from one set up to another, so does evo 8 oem piping fit? I know the coldside requires another elbow. I'm just trying to way all my options, pros and cons, etc. I feel like settling for the smaller, twin-scroll evo 8 turbo would be nice for an initial turbo setup, which I could eventually upgrade to a bigger t3. Also how did you lower the stock boost? unscrew the actuator tip a couple turns to keep the flapper slightly ajar?
Old 07-09-2010, 09:44 PM

i had it like that and it works. but the best way is to find a WG with a softer spring. i remember seeing one that had a 7 psi spring (factory evo 8 is 11psi) but that was a looong time ago and haven't seen it since.

no, the bolt pattern haven't been bored out but i can have one of the guys in the tool room do it for me (were i work at).

the piping i had to modify it slightly.

on the cold side i just added a 2.5" 45 degree elbow and the rest of the pipping was 100% made for the evo.

on the cold side it was made for evo but i had to modify it because it was made for a 20g and the angle of the 20g it WAY different than the 16g and it is also a lot bigger.

also regarding the downpipe, if you cut it right after the bend just under the oil pan you might not have to hammer it down because you can play with the angle of said part.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:55 PM

this is the evo IC kit i had and to be honest you can make a better one. i wasn't too thrilled when i got the package on the mail....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EMUSA-Mitsu...sQ5fAccessories
Old 07-10-2010, 11:26 PM

That would be great. Just shoot me a PM if you can do that.

I'm looking at piecing some stuff together from an evo forum. I think I'm just gonna get the lower pipe and use my original intercooler and cold side.

Do you know how well the full evo exhaust would fit?
Old 07-12-2010, 02:15 PM

the only part that fit from the evo exhaust is the mid pipe. I rather get a custom made exhaust.