Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Cooling?

Old 02-18-2005, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007
Default Cooling?

Should I do something with cooling system (bigger radiator, more powerful fans, oil cooling, etc) when installing turbo (up to 12-14 psi on Garrett T3) ?

Any heating problem?
Old 02-18-2005, 11:34 AM

An oil cooler would help.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:03 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

No, let your engine run with the stock radiator (which is made to cool air running through stock engine) and let your oil boil through your engine, while the air going through your turbo only gets hotter and hotter ruining your turbo.....................................dot.gif
Old 02-18-2005, 01:33 PM

QUOTE (Patreezy)
No, let your engine run with the stock radiator (which is made to cool air running through stock engine) and let your oil boil through your engine, while the air going through your turbo only gets hotter and hotter ruining your turbo.....................................dot.gif

that was kinda fd up.

you should get an oil cooler
Old 02-18-2005, 02:17 PM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

Where to place oil cooler?

Where should I get oil (from engine) and where to return?

How big should be cooler?
Should I place oil cooler fan?
Old 02-18-2005, 02:52 PM

You can get a sandwich adaptor to fit between the engine and the oil filter.. or you can get a remote oil filter adaptor and move the filter to a more accessable place AND use that to plumb a cooler in.

As you are running turbo (or going to) I would not put the oil cooler infront of the radiator.. between that, the front mount, and the air conditioning condensor, you are going to be limiting cooling air to the radiator. If you do not have fog lights, I would mount it in the passenger side fender cavity behind the fog light opening.. but you would need to cut and add mesh or something to the fender liner to allow proper air flow through to it.