Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

compressor wheels

Old 02-19-2014, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 02 Accent
Default compressor wheels

How do most people remove the compressor wheel from the turbine shaft without causing damage when stuck? Heat and pressure?
Old 02-19-2014, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

I'm going to go out on a limb here, and guess that most people never even think about their turbine shafts and wheels. Have you got a turbine wheel stuck on its shaft when disassembling a turbo?

I'm hoping if so, that it just won't budge from its regular position, in which case heat and pressure with maybe some penetrating oil (NOT WD-40) could be the ticket. What kind of turbo are you talking about?

If it's stuck *after* it's started moving, it may be slightly crooked. The cure is to very-gently tap it back straight if possible. The wheel may have scored the shaft, in which case it needs to be sent either to the manufacturer for inspection/balancing or a *very* good turbo repair shop. I give 70% odds in your favor of getting the wheel back straight on the shaft, then disassembling it yourself without having to do anything extra.