Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Cheapest F/i

Old 04-08-2005, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

i'd say go turbo. you can get the basics and run like 5 psi for pretty cheap, then add a intercooler, run 8 psi, do fuel work, etc. run more psi. laugh.gif

edit: how much was that basic basic kit from tim in that gb a while back? like 1500 and your up and running 5 psi! that should be enough for that 40 hp you want to start out at.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:45 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^^ Tim's kit is now $2200... so unless he offers another GB that doesn't matter. And 5PSI non-intercooled on a small T3 won't get you 40whp. Tim's kit doesn't come with an exhaust, which is pretty neccessary for running any kind of F/I, even nitrous. And your still probably going to be rummaging around for miscellaneous parts that didn't come with Tim's kit that will add up.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:48 PM

yep your right, http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=437&hl=

found it but it's just the same as the reg basic kit and he said the price was going up.

dang, you don't think 5 is good enough for even 40? sure it depends on alot of other stuff but i was thinking i'd seen dyno's of tibs with 8 psi at ~ 200 whp

edit: as far as exhaust and stuff it's misleading to say it's necessary. sure it's going to be alot better running than without it but I'm trying to help him with the first step here. not the full project.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:54 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ooooh Tim I would buy one. tongue.gif lol.gif

5PSI on a T3 Super 60 (I think thats the turbo in the basic) wouldn't be enough for 40whp untuned I wouldn't think. Key word. The Vortech will make the car run very rich I would think, which would hinder the results. If an S-AFC or SMT-6 was bought, that would probably make 40whp.

I would still run an intercooler (mind you a small one) at 5-7PSI even though Tim says it would be fine without one. Finding a used small one for a $150 or so shouldn't be that hard. Of course once you factor in the exhaust, piggyback, and the small intercooler we're @ $3000 or so. Three times that of nitrous.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:55 PM

QUOTE (Speed-Factor @ Apr 8 2005, 05:50 PM)
Well I know that the kit will put down 40whp with no other supporting mods, but till you know don't try and say you do. tongue.gif

And there my be a GB for that again in the near future. If I get enough intrest in it, it may happen.

hey, i didn't say it would for sure, i just said it should put out about 40. just educated estimates here, he's not asking for dyno's or anything. laugh.gif

dang, btw, that was a fast reply!
Old 04-08-2005, 05:06 PM

QUOTE (Speed-Factor @ Apr 8 2005, 05:56 PM)
Super that wasn't directed toward you.

hehe, oh

anyways, back on topic, man it's really up to you. turbo/sc is going to be the toughest and your going to have to learn alot, i'm still on that road now. nitrous i don't know alot about though, but it is another option you just have to weigh em out.

one of the reasons i'm going turbo is because you can start out very basic and keep adding more and more. plus there is the added benifiet that upgrades to your engine with turbo are going to produce more hp that on an n/a engine. (if that doesn't make sense I'm trying to say an exhaust upgrade or a bbtb, are going to have a bigger impact on a turbo engine over a n/a engine)