Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Cheapest F/i

Old 04-08-2005, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, I'm just wondering what the cheapest F/I would be. A turbo kit or a supercharger. And which kit ?

note: I live in Europe (Netherlands) and I can imagine that shipping and tax would press the price enormous.

Or would it be cheaper to just find some tuning company in my country and let them put on a turbo and let them order the Header and downpipe and stuff.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:28 AM

Well I would say that it's cheaper to initially but the supercharger over the turbo, but to get the tuning to perfection on the supercharger it'll be a lot more than the turbo...not to mention...you're not going to be able to get anywhere NEAR the horsepower output with the supercharger as you would with the turbo...initial costs, supercharger's cheaper...but in the long run, I would say it'd be much wiser to go turbo...and cheaper...
Old 04-08-2005, 09:42 AM

Ok the deal is I'm not planning (boy, didn't we hear that a lot before) on any real tuning. I just want a F/I and around 40 HP extra (is that doable ?)
Eventually (in a year or 2) I wanna swap my RD2 for a tussy V6. Then I'm thinking about really adding power with a ripp setup or something.

Maybe someone like Tim can check for me what the price would be with shipping and if there would be any tax or import costs in my country.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:44 AM

If you only want an extra 40hp then a turbo would be silly. Get a NX kit.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:58 AM

Permanent. Also I think F/I is cool and has his charmes. I don't want NX

What power do you expect to gain from lets say the basic turbo kit from speedfactor ?
Old 04-08-2005, 10:38 AM

Well that would all depend on how much boost you run ( number of psi). He just dynoed his extreme kit and at 12psi i think he pulled about 250whp. So with that, youv got huge gains. But it sounds to me you wouldnt want 12psi with a t3/t4. If you went with his basic kit and an intercooler at a low to mid setting, say 8 psi, i think youd put down about 200whp. Not sure what shipping would be, but you could prolly do that and stay under $3,000USD.
Old 04-08-2005, 12:16 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

QUOTE (UltraTibby @ Apr 8 2005, 03:44 PM)
If you only want an extra 40hp then a turbo would be silly. Get a NX kit.

If you want 40hp more than stock, a turbocharger/supercharger is pointless. You either go N/A or nitrous. Unless you want to spend $2000 more than you need to. rolleyes.gif

NX Kit = $800 (full kit with bottle warmer, window switch, etc.) plus $50 fillups every two-three months unless you use it everywhere
N/A= $18000ish (Intake, Header, Exhaust, TB, IM, 1.8L Cam)
----
To get a turbocharger/supercharger to run properly you have to tune it. There is no getting around it. Assuming you want 40HP:

- T25 ($350 new/rebuilt)
- Manifold ($225)
- Downpipe/Exhaust ($320)
- Oil lines ($100)
- Blowoff (1G DSM... $30)
- Custom Piping ($250)
- Fuel System ($200)
- Small Intercooler ($250)
- Miscellaneous Parts [Gaskets, Couplers, etc.] ($300)
- Piggyback [SMT-6/S-AFC] ($250)
- Tuning ($100)

~ $2400 to make sure everything works properly and runs. Then you factor in less gas mileage, higher octane fuel, and much more maintenence and your looking at spending just about as much money on fuel as you would on filling a tank of nitrous every month or so.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:17 PM

QUOTE (01importshark @ Apr 8 2005, 05:38 PM)
sh!t, do some extensive N/A work to get your 40 hp.. so u dont have to mess with turbo, tuning, all that stuff. AEM CAI, Maintec Header, 2.5" catback exhaust, AiR RAM IM, ported and polished head. pistons cams. etc should get u 40 hp

The cheapest way to get your extra 40h is to go with a custom turbo kit. Get used parts.You could get a complete kit for 2-3000US or less.

There is no way in hell that you get 40hp N/A for 5000US. Just a CAI, Header, 2.25in exaust will go for 1000$, pistons are 600-800$, cams are 1000$ plus shipping, plus installation...and i am not mentionning mandatory ecu work, gaskets,....so you will be paying about 4-5000$ for less results than a cheap turbo kit. Not mentionning that if you go N/A, engine will be loud has hell (high comp pistons, cams)

I went N/A because the way power is delivered was important to me. If you simply want power, go turbo. The bang/buck on an N/A setup is very bad.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:34 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Although 01Importshark is wrong in that pistons/cams don't need tuning (They definately need tuning), I kind of agree with.

If someone took a baseline dyno of their Tib, slapped all of the easy bolt-ons on (intake, header, exhaust, TB, IM, 1.8L cam, piggyback) I'm sure they could manage gain 40whp out of the setup, if not damn close.

We've all seen Tib dynos where the dynos are low for the mods, but we've also seen dynos where the stock dynos are low (anywhere from 95-120whp... thats a large gap). Its impossible to tell unless its the same car in relatively same conditions.
--
Going used on turbo parts is not the most intelligent thing to do, and to be honest if your going to say to go used on turbo parts, someone could just as well say go used on N/A parts. The only main parts that I would consider buying used for a turbocharger is the manifold if its relatively new and the intercooler. I would never touch a used turbo unless I could thoroughly inspect every single aspect of it.