Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

centrifugal supercharger

Old 08-09-2002, 02:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon
Default centrifugal supercharger

wouldn't it be better to use this supercharger than a turbo i mean arent they the same but instead of running by exhaust it runs of a belt and u have the power constantly
Old 08-09-2002, 02:19 PM

Yeah they do run more, but being belt driven, it is still a parasite for taking power as it creates some.

exhaust driven turbos dont create parasitic power loss.
Old 08-09-2002, 02:24 PM

i don't understand the whole "it takes power away buit actually adds power" thing. if it's giving you power then how is it parasitic.........? isn't that an oxymoron.
Old 08-09-2002, 02:31 PM

Any Accessory that is running off the crank is a load on motor therefore taking power formthe engine to run the S/C.
Old 08-09-2002, 02:48 PM

If it take 10hp, to turn the turbo, to make it blow more air into the engine to make 40hp, you are really only making 30 more hp.
Old 08-09-2002, 02:50 PM

centrifugal superchargers are usually driven by a shaft not a belt.... it would be kind of hard to mount one on a tib... well u could but it would be a PITA.. seeing as the belts/pulleys are on the other side as the intake... i mea i suppose u coulr route piping but it would be hard and complex piping
Old 08-10-2002, 03:04 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Viper966:
centrifugal superchargers are usually driven by a shaft not a belt....
No centrifugal units are BELT driven, not SHAFT driven. The only way you could get a SHAFT driven supercharger is if you mounted it directly to the crank!!!!

Centrifugal superchargers are basically half a turbo. They use the engine power via a belt to spin the compressor wheel. A turbo uses exhaust gas to spin the turbine wheel, which is connected via a shaft to the compressor wheel.

For a turbo style compressor to work, it must spin very fast. Ungodly fast. About 100,000 rpm to start making boost pressure. This means in addition to a very high crank pully to supercharger pully ratio, you need internal gearing inside the centrifugal supercharger to create more speed. This creates lots of drag, known as parasitic loss. Basically it takes 10 to 20 HP to drive the supercharger, so untill the supercharger is providing boost, you are 10 to 20 Hp DOWN on performance.

Since the centrifugal supercharger needs to be spinning so fast to produce boost, they do not work well at low rpms. They usually only work above 3500-4000 RPM.

They do have SOME advantages of a turbocharger...namely, a high thermal efficiency rating, but they also are slow to respond until you are in the high RPM range.

If you are serious about superchargers, pick up corky bells "SUPERCHARGED!" book.
Old 08-10-2002, 05:20 PM

If I remember right, superchargers tend to lose power in high RPMs. The only thing I can back this with is when I owned a Thunderbird SuperCoupe and I raced a buddy that had a regular V6 T-bird, same model year. I would only pull away so far and then he would slowly begin to catch up. Of course this was over 100 MPH...so I guess it doesn't really matter, the race is already won by then.
Old 08-11-2002, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

AllBlackTibby-

It depends on the type and size of SC. A properly sized Centrifugal unit would not loose power at the top end, but it would not provide much/any boost at the low end. Sized for low end, it might indeed not be capable of producing boost at high RPM.

You have to decide what is important, low end power, mid range power, or high end power, and then size your supercharger or turbocharger accordingly.
Old 08-11-2002, 12:48 AM

The Thunderchicken SC uses an Eaton M62 SC, which is a whole different type when compared to a centrifugal SC.

Ideally the SC setup to use on the Beta would have been the second generation unit from Rimmer. It used the Lysholm screw stlye Autorotor, which is the most efficient type of SC made.