Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Car overheats since turbo install

Old 02-11-2011, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon
Default Car overheats since turbo install

Hey everyone hope you can help me with the issue Im having. My car just got its turbo kit put in on Tuesday. Since driving it i have noticed that it overheats pretty quickly. The needle on the gauge raises all the way up to the red. We replaced the water pump and thermostat with ones from the hyundai dealer service department. the coolant was switched out to fresh 50/50 mixture. the head gasket was replaced during the turbo install. it was all installed by a certified mechanic who has alot of experience doing turbo installations. right now, im only boosting at 8-10 psi. not alot but good enough for me since all the internals (pistons, rings, etc) are still stock. the radiator was replaced about 6 months ago with a brand new one.

The only thing I can think of what is causing the overheating is that maybe I need a better thermostat since the one from hyundai is not designed for turbo'd engines. Its only a theory but I would like to know if anyone else has any other ideas? everything is pretty much brand new and is 100% stock in terms of heating/cooling and it was installed by someone who knew whht they were doing. we double checked it all too just in case something did get messed up in the install.

thanks for the help.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:28 PM

Vehicle: 1998/Hyundai/Tiburon FX Turbo

Can you post your setup Turbo brand, size, are you using standalone or piggy back, what size injectors, fuel pump, fpr, what is your AFR?
Old 02-11-2011, 02:37 PM

Vehicle: 13 Gen Coupe Ult.

Is your tubro water cooled???
Old 02-11-2011, 05:21 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon i4

Many people use the stock rad when they boost, I did and had no trouble with it. This may seem like a stupid question, but I did this once before myself...did you check the rad fan connection? I was messing around once and forgot to hook the fans back up which obviously caused overheating.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:18 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

My plug had a small crack and I accidentally plugged it in backwards. With the polarity switched, the fan spun the wrong way. You want it pulling air through the radiator - make sure it's going the proper direction.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

post ALL of your specs of the turbo build along with everything you modified and installed during the build..

stock radiator should be fine. do you have a body kit?

when is it overheating? on idle? on hard pulls? whats your tuning like? dyno tuned? street tuned? no tuning?