Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Can somebody explain to me what turbo compressor surge is?

Old 07-07-2010, 07:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2004 Tib
Default Can somebody explain to me what turbo compressor surge is?

I heard a couple of people talking about this in the background at the shop where my turbo install is happening and Im not finding alot of results on here or on the net in regards to what it is exactly. So can someone give me a really good explaination of what it is? beercheers.gif
Old 07-07-2010, 08:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2003/Hyundai/Tiburon

Compressor Surge is where you overrun the turbo outside of its specified efficiency range. When this happens the boost pressure becomes very erratic and you'll get boost creep along with a lot higher intake temps.

Compressor backflow is what happens when you close the throttle plate and the incoming boost pressure slams into it and goes back down the charge pipe and through the intercooler. It then goes back through the IC and slams into the turbo's compressor wheel slowing it down. Its basically a pressure wave that slows down the turbo. That's why people use blow off valves. A BOV releases this 'wave' before it has a chance to slow the turbo down.

Sometimes people interchange backflow with surge but they really aren't the same thing although surge can cause backflow. wink.gif
Old 07-07-2010, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: '14 Ford F-150

I could explain, but it's easier to just post this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compressor_surge