Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

The build of the Race Egg

Old 12-25-2017, 10:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Does that mean you'll have to pull the core support or disassemble the exhaust when you change the radiator?
Old 12-26-2017, 11:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Vehicle: 2010 Hyundai Accent

Now that you mention it, I never thought about that.. At best I'd probably have to remove the turbo and piping to be able to wiggle the radiator out.

Or hope I never have to change it!
Old 12-26-2017, 07:50 PM

Considering I have next to no room between the turbo and radiator, only logical thing to do was a push fan setup. Decided to go with dual 12" fans that both flow 2000cfm which should help keep things cool.

The fan on the driver side of the condenser actually hangs off a bit so it wouldn't sit flush. Added some foam to the one side to raise it up and help things sit level

Both fans mounted in place

Ended up having to cut out a portion of the crash bar in order to get the intercooler to fit properly. I'd like to go back at some point and reinforce it just to be safe

Another shot of the intercooler mounted in place

I didn't feel like plumbing the beta I style IAC to my charge piping, so I just tossed a filter on it and called it a day

While I was at it, I went ahead and installed an oil catch can. I should look into getting a 1-way check valve as well

Old 12-27-2017, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator

Two points based on my having had my car for a long time: Make sure the hoses to the catch can will stand up to vacuum, and you might want to keep an eye on the foam by the radiator fan. The foam may smoosh and/or degrade with age. You'd be sure to get better cooling performance if you make a shroud/baffle that both fans sit in, to spread out their air pressure across the face of the entire radiator . . . if you have room for that.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:02 PM

So now that the intercooler is mounted and all that fun stuff, I had the exciting task of fabbing up the intercooler piping. The downpipe and wastegate dump tube came off of my RD so I just re-used them. Wanted to keep the bay temps as low as possible so I installed a turbo blanket, heat wrapped the downpipe and wastegate dump tube and wrapped the hotside portion of the charge pipe in heat tape.

Charge piping with BOV flange and IAT bung welded in. Also pictured is the wastegate dump tube

DEI Heat wrap, DEI heat tape and a titanium turbo blanket

Downpipe, wastegate dump tube and hotside piping wrapped

Turbo blanket installed along with downpipe and wastegate dump tube mounted

The hotside charge piping had very little clearance between the radiator and downpipe which is exactly why I wrapped it in heat tape

Here are some better overall shots to give you an idea on how the piping and everything is routed

Old 12-27-2017, 08:23 PM

Looks like Photobucket is having some technical difficulties at the moment so a majority of my pictures aren't visible for the time being. I'm starting to migrate my pictures over to Google Pictures so hopefully I can avoid issues like this in the near future.

Stocker, I totally didn't see your response either! As for the foam, I was already planning on checking it frequently for that very reason. As for a shroud, that won't be feasible at the moment. There's about a 1/2" clearance between the highest point on the fan motor and the rear of the intercooler.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

Photobucket is demanding hundreds of dollars a year to allow you to host images for other websites from there. And they broke their own album downloader.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:15 AM

Updated my previous post that contained pictures as the links apparently stopped working. Seems that Google Photos doesn't work well with embedding images in forums so back to using Photobucket for the time being.
Old 12-31-2017, 09:32 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

Your heat mitigation looks great! I'd also recommend a manifold heat blanket. Not just a heat shield. Made a huge difference in my under hood temps and keeps the heat where I want it.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:52 PM

I initially thought about wrapping the turbo manifold itself, but that would have been a huge pain. Next time I remove the manifold I might look into having it ceramic coated.

Quick Reply: The build of the Race Egg