Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Boost Without Tuning?

Old 02-05-2008, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My question is whether or not our cars can run low boost, (5psi and under) without any sort of ecu/fuel tuning. Can the stock fuel pump and injectors handle low boost without any extra help? I'm looking to make around 4-5 psi until I can afford to get a tuner of some sort and better injectors and a pump. Will I get a CEL if the IM senses it is above atmosphere pressure?
Thanks guys.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:42 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

any tuner will tell you it's not beneficial or economic. you can blow your engine or wear it down quick because it won't know what to do. the engine will not know it's getting boost and you will have problems.

always have boost tuned. if you don't you also lose LOT of horsepower.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:24 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Yes you can, but as HKC said, it's not the best. A number of people have done non-intercooled, <5psi beginner setups and haven't had problems. Of course, you don't have the full potential of the turbo, but yes it's possible.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:47 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

sleeprtib, just wait. I know it sucks, but trust me if ANYONE knows about Patience it's me! wink1.gif
Old 02-05-2008, 08:05 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra

You can run 2psi max. Our computers cannot supply enough fuel for any boosted application. Any tuner, even a split second controller will be better then nothing.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:08 PM

Thanks for all the advice. I figured as much. Which ecu tuner do you guys recommend? I think I'm gonna go piggy back. I've been looking into both the SMT6 and the Apexi "Neo". Anyone have any experience with these? Which would be better?
Thanks fing02.gif
Old 02-05-2008, 08:30 PM
Banned

out of those piggybacks, i woul duse the SMT6..

but you should just buy my complete turbo kit and call it a day fing02.gif
Old 02-05-2008, 08:32 PM

^^^

LMAO. Trust me, if I had the money, I would. So with the SMT, how difficult is the install? Where would you recommend getting it from?
Old 02-05-2008, 08:33 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

It may not be responsible, as the control and awareness of the engines vitals are non-existant, but dont say its not possible if you've never done it. This "none at all" or "2psi max" is all garbage if your basing it all purely on speculation.

I have done it, i ran my car with a T3 super 60, intercooled, 5psi, with zero fuel alterations, for about 6 months until i could afford and find the time to install my SMT-6 w/ dual rail.

I didn't want to do it, I planned on using a 12:1 FMU and 195lph fuel pump as i was "told" (by several people also propagating information they hadn't confirmed) that this method would work without a doubt.

Well it didn't, AT ALL, the FMU forced too much fuel into the engine as soon as i hit a pound of boost and i got a huge cutoff as the ECU was freaking out.

Being that i had banked on this working and didn't have enough time or the ability to return it back to stock, i disconnected the 12:1 fmu, and it worked, great.

I was able to boost 5 full pounds of boost and there was no cutoff and the car pulled like crazy (compared to stock).

I don't recommend it, but i will tell you, from experience, not thought experiment, that if the turbo is a t3 or smaller, its most definitely possible, but not responsible.

----------------------------

As far as the SMT-6, its much better than the apexi, and the install is relatively easy enough (in compared to a complete turbo install). Perfect Power has SMT-6's but buying used can get you them cheap.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:46 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra

It's not purely speculation, on my old setp with my T25, the wastgate actuator opened at 3psi, and the car ran like shit.

Alsix, when you were running your 5psi on the stock ECU, did you do any datalogging of air/fuel ratio's?