Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Boost And Nitro

Old 05-15-2006, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi...

I just got a ZEX WET kit at a really cheap price from a friend...

Now I need some advices because I really don't do any homework about a NITRO before... sad.gif

I need some advices like: better place for installation, location of the nitro lines from the tank to the engine, better location for the nozzle, etc....

Remember that I'm boosted.... 7psi right now... at the end of the week I will be runing a 20PSI of boost... just have to wait for the new data for my ECU...

For those who will ask.. I will not make any shot over 55HP...

thanks to all.....
Old 05-17-2006, 09:31 PM

i would start with a smaller shot......remember that using nitrous with boost a 55 shot could actualy add 60 to 70 hp in some situations because of the cooling factor.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:10 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

read up as much as you can mang believe me you will need it

get a bottle warmer A NX ONE!! seriously its REALLY important more important than the ricey purge stuff so get that first

now somewhere around here jongtr posted up what sizes you would need to run what shot

start with a 35shot then move up to a 50 once your comfortable with it you probably wont need more than a 50 cuz of what ^^ just said
Old 05-18-2006, 08:30 AM

Thanks bro's...

For sure I will not shot more than 50HP.... I know that it will kill my engine at that amount of boost.... I was thinking more on using it as an N-tercooler...

I checked to the JONGTR post... very complete... it helps...

I put the NITRO lines from the bootle to the engine all the way beside the fuel line under the car..... I thought that "if the Korean put the fuel lines downthere, so its the safest place of the car..."
Old 05-18-2006, 10:29 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

^Im guessing you dont have stock internals?
Old 05-19-2006, 07:59 AM

If he shost over 50 if he does he'll need new ones sad.gif
Old 05-20-2006, 07:17 PM

Don't worry I have low comp pistons 8.5:1

In a couple of months I will get the Pauter Rods....
Old 05-21-2006, 08:06 PM

before my 87 supra got stolen last week, i had a 75 shot on top of 15psi and it was great, just don't spray under 3000rpm or you can kiss your valves good bye.

also, retard the timing for every 50hp on nitrous. since you are already boosted, i suspect that you already have 2 stages colder on plugs.

start off with a small shot and work your way up. i started with a 50 then 65 then 75. i was about to go to 100 then some low life stole my car.

i have a pretty cool video of the car running 13.0 at 111mph but i will put that in another part of the forum.

as for placing the nozzle, dont go any further than 1ft away from the throttle body and no closer than 6 inches to it. keep the lines away from any heat. make sure you tap the nozzle into the metal piping and dont use the cheap plastic thing that lets you tap into a plastic coupling. you dont need any boost leaks where the nitrous nozzle taps into the charge piping and use teflon tape when you screw it in.

when you mount your bottle in the trunk area, make sure that you have a blow down tube installed and vented to the outside of the car for one.

mount the bootle facing forward so when you take off and spray, the nitrous will shift backwards in the bottle and the tube inside the bottle will be able to still get the nitrous. if you mount it in any other dirrection, from the G-forces of the car, you will get only fuel to the car from the nozzle and no nitrous.

keep the bottle out o dirrect sun light if you are not going to be able to monitor the bottle pressure. oh, and get a nitrous pressure guage so you can monitor the pressure.

optimum bottle pressure is between 900 to 1100psi, dont go any higher than that or you will lock up a solenoid. any lower than 900 and you will loose power due to the amount of fuel to nitrous.

ALWAYS make sure you have the correct jets in the nozzle and always make sure you actually have the jets in there. i myself have got in a hurry, changed something on the kit and didn't realize that the nitrous jet fell out when i was putting it back together and when i sprayed, holy crap-oli was it fun but the head blew apart.

thats all i can think of at the moment. have fun and be smart and safe.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:02 PM

Thanks for all that advices... very important to know....

BTW... what is the "blow down tube" and why the reason for that??
Old 05-21-2006, 10:02 PM

there is a pressure relief valve on the side of the bottle where you open the the main valve for nitrous to flow through the line. the bottle has to be empty before you put the adapter on it for the blow down tube.

what the tube does is allow the nitrous to vent out in the case of over pressurization due to heat. nitrous expands as it gets hot and this builds pressure so if the pressure relief valve see's a certain pressure it will break and allow the nitrous to vent out. so if you dont have a blow down tube then all the nitrous will vent in your car and if you are racing or even driving when it happens well i am sure you know how you may feel with a car full of nitrous.

the safety relief valve is a small little metal disc that is made to break under a certain pressure. i think it is something like 2000psi or more.

so keep in mind when you mount the bottle in the back of the car, have a place where the blow down tube can vent to the outside of the car. i drilled a hole in my trunk area and put in a rubber grommet then mounted the bottle so the blow down tube would go through that hole.

if you buy the tube, it does not come with the adapter for the bottle. since you have a zex kit, they make one for your bottle. if the bottle has nitrous in it already then you may have to either empty it out or just use it all then before you refill it, get the adapter on there and you will be set.

if you go to a track to race, if they inspect the car and see the nitrous without a blow down tube, they may not let you race. it is an NHRA rule and all drag strips follow NHRA rules.