Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Blowing a Boosted engine

Old 01-19-2005, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blowing a Boosted engine

hey i have a question.
lets say i have a boosted engine..
and then the engine blows and its no good no more...
can i just take off all my turbo stuff and put it on another engine? or will my whole turbo setup be messed up because of the blown engine?
the only thing that i can see that may get messed up would be the turbine itself and maybe a cracked manifold..
anyone?
Old 01-19-2005, 03:37 PM

Vehicle: 2000/Hyundai/Tiburon

I'm thinking it would depend on HOW the engine blew. Say you got oil and antifreeze into your piping and turbine... in that case I don't know if I'd use it again.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Depends on if any "parts" left the motor through the exhaust. A broken spark plug could exit the exhaust port and damage the turbo.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:00 PM

yeea.. but i guess its only the turbo thats in really big danger of anything.. i mean the intercooler and piping would be safe and also all the electronics and bov.. and im guessing the injectors would be safe too unless somethin happened to them to cause the engine to blow
Old 01-20-2005, 02:28 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

As long as nothing leaves the engine as JonGTR said you'll be fine.

An even better question would be how not to blow up the engine rather then what you could salvage if it did blow up. smile.gif
Old 01-20-2005, 06:37 PM

well the reason i ask is because by the time my plans to get my engine boosted it will be at the 165 000 KM's mark not miles.. and i know its pretty high to start boosting.. so i figured if i seriously cant afford to swap my engine for a new one with lower kms then i'll drive it with boost until it blows then transfer the parts onto a newer engine and hopefully at that time i'll be able to afford it..
Old 01-20-2005, 06:45 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

OR you could refresh the engine. New berrings all around, new piston rings, cylindars honed, block top and head plained/trued and a new head gasket. Good as new.
Old 01-20-2005, 07:21 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

yeah i agree, if you blow it you'l be starting back at zero. If you spend the money to true it up then you'll 1. have a better running engine, 2. have a more reliable engine.

This way you can even throw in new pistons to push more boost. I would say take it easy with the engine you have now, run you turbo with a respectable boost, and take it easy until you get new things.

Either way I know what you mean, and everything will work fine on another Beta.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:20 PM

yeea i see what the possiblilities are.. but sometimes its not as easy as taking your engine apart and fully rebuilding it and adding all the them things.. of course thats what i would like my end result to be.. i think thats the direction everyone would like to head.. but in the car scene, everyone is at a different level in terms of what they can do at the moment and in the near future and im trying to get a jump start at basically starting boost first but at the same time im looking out and being careful not to rush in blind and not look at the concequences first.
but yeea.. at my level right now i think swaping an engine would be the best bet first..