Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

before you turbo

Old 05-26-2004, 11:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well then....looks like we are getting pretty heated up in here, up in here..

lets start back to step one:

buying the maximum boost book will give you the general idea of how a turbo car will work so that when you have the final project done, you will have the general understanding of what your car is.

the book will not answer all of your questions because you are turboing a small import to where they are turboing a big V-8. but the same guide lines follow with most cars.

you also need to do a lot of research while reading this book. look on HA.com, i have a lot of posts there along with many others who have been down the road you are about to go. my screen name there is 13.4sec.

step 2: figure out your final goal

this step is impossible because once you start, your gonna want more. so just pick a good number. on stock pistons and rings, no more than 230whp or 10psi on a t3/t4 because the rings are the first to go. trust me i am one to know because i was there, i still have the t-shirt to.

step 3: save first buy later.

if you dont have the patience to save the money first and get everything at once, dont even attempt to turbo your car because your gonna cut corners and jack your car up and then come back and blame all of us because you read it on a forum.

step 4: find a tuner.

this is one of the most important steps. if your tuner sucks, say good bye to a whole lot of money and possibly your car. look for how long they have been tunning, ask to watch them when they tune so you can see first hand. make sure they dont rig things up to make things work. there is a fine line between riggin and customizing so i hope you can tell the difference between the 2.

the install will take about a week or 2 depending on how much your doing. if you get pistons and crap, expect a month of down time.

if you have any more questions, dont be afraid to ask but please do a search for a lot of it because it has been covered a billion times.

also, e-mail me if you need anything. i am a dealer for quaife differentials and clutch net. i can get anything you need for a custom turbo kit. if you let me know what your main goal is, i can get all the stuff you need for the kit, you will just have to find someone to put it all together with the exception of down pipes and charge piping. i can get the flanges but i wont shape the piping unless you want to pay extra for that.

thanks and happy tunning
Old 05-27-2004, 12:07 PM

Hi pal...

Everyone here is Damm right... If you want to get a Turbo, save the money first and buy later....

I began en April to buy all the principal parts for my Turbo setup.... I want it finish on July... (hopefully)... But I understand that after that, I have to make bigger modification for my GOAL: 250WHP....

Speed is addictive.... so thats because everyone recommends you that first save and then buy... If you don't do in this way... you will be sorry when you get a big damage....

I wish you the best of luck in here!!! .... and if you don't know about something: Just ASK!!! It's better to look like a newbie , than a fool when you mess with something because you didn't ask...

I know a lot of something.... but in others, I'm worst than a newbie... LoL
Old 05-29-2004, 02:54 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

umm calm down redz that was a sarcastic "fu" w0w

back on topic...
i know i won't have the money definitely until probably november/december, like you said---save first buy later. i was just wondering what are critical parts needed (lets assume i buy the basic kit from tim) (and remember its a 99 i4 2.0 auto)..soo ill pick a number--i like 250 like tiburonwao smile.gif so assuming i buy that kit i was just wondering what other parts i would need to firstly just keep my car working!
thanks a lot for all the info guys i appreciate it
and sorry if u were truly offended by the fu redz it wasn't meant how u took it but you are truly being a dick about this okay i was asking a question and you begin throwing your analogies and insults at me...kewl. i understand what ur saying but i just wanted a general idea without having to buy the book, is that OKAY with you redz?
pz
Old 05-30-2004, 12:56 AM

ok, here is a simple list for you with 250hp in mind.

t3/t4 turbo
oil return and oil feed lines
400cc injectors high impedence (16ohm)
adjustable fuel preasure regulator
fuel lines
msd-dis 2 for spark tuning
s-afc2 or greddy e-manage for fuel tuning
walborro 255lph fuel pump
inner cooler
blow off valve
8.5mm spark plug wires
2 heat ranges colder on plugs
35mm waste gate
stage 3 clutch
boost guage is nice
turbo timer helps

piping, just buy 3 feet of straight 2 1/2 inch pipe and 2 2 1/2 inch bends
turbo manifold, ssautochrome has one with the external waste gate flange on e-bay. i had this manifold and it will move around a bit durring the break in but all you gotta do is tighten the bolts every day for about a week until it stops moving.

silicone pipe connectors. if you do the piping right then you will only need 5 connectors. 1 to the turbo where the filter and maf sensor is, 1 from the turbo to the piping, 1 from the piping to the inner cooler, 1 from the inner cooler to the other side of the piping and the last one to the throttle body from the piping

you will also need a few feet of vaccum line for the waste gate.

a boost controller if you are going over 10psi.

to reach the 250 mark you will need about 15psi so with that in mind you will need new pistons or just better rings. i would say new pistons because your gonna have to rip apart your block to get to the rings so you may as well play it safe.

you dont need the 8.5-1 compression like everyone says, 9.5-1 will do fine and you wont loose as much power from the motor like you would with low compression pistons. just find a good tuner like i said before and you will be fine.

i have 9.5-1 forged pistons and i will be pushing 3 times the hp you want so no worries.

the turbo timer will help with the life of your turbo. there are a few things more you could change or add but like i said, this is the basic list.

at 250hp, you are gonna be 1 tire fire so an lsd would be nice also but not necessary. all i can say is good luck with traction on a launch.

you will have to change your oil more than you do now because of the turbo so plan on that.

having a turbo car is not cheap and if you act cheap on a turbo car then it won't last very long.

if i think of anything else i will add it but if anyone thinks i missed something then just add on.

like i said, this is basic to get you started. you could build up to the 250 but for now you can run 7psi without ripping into the block for pistons.
Old 05-31-2004, 06:27 PM

Default Ringtone Downloads

pritty nice list....

Time to finish shopping.... LOL lol.gif lol.gif

Just take your time on buying it...

For now... just 2 questions..:

1) where do I get the 2 heat ranges colder on plugs???

2) Best Turbo Timer??? I was looking for the BLiTZ... I like the part that has an internal boost sensor... just saving the money instead of buying a Turbo Gauge... Or maybe the HKS Type-I...

Any sugestions???
Old 05-31-2004, 11:32 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Go to any auto shop that sells the plugs you want. Tell them what year car you have and such, then tell them you want colder plugs.
Old 06-01-2004, 06:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

Get NGK's. Part #BKR7E. Those are 2 ranges colder.
Old 06-01-2004, 07:20 AM

QUOTE (zoned019)
thanks tibnrice for actually answering the question---what would you estimate total investment for just the parts needed?

i hate it when people say search...if you don't use that shit exactly right you still have to sift through everything you don't want to know, if you get any results at all

not exactly sure how much a turbo setup would cost, if you run into problems that would obviously cost more.

if i were going to turbo my car i'd just get a used DSM turbo (DSM = turbo eclipse/talon in case you didn't know) you can get 16g or 14b turbos for relatively cheap. other than that if you shop around and see what people are selling you can probably piece to together for rather cheap. or you can just go out and buy a turbo kit from speed factor or alpine.
Old 07-01-2004, 01:30 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

old topic but
so if someone got the 'basic kit' from speed-factor, what OTHER parts are critical/reccommended and don't come in the kit?
Old 07-03-2004, 12:21 PM

i think the speed-factor kit should be enough to run low boost (think 5-8 psi) and not have any problems....if your going to want to boost more you will need fuel injectors and fuel pump (not sure if that comes in the basic kit or not) and a FMIC...

but with the prices of those thing you might as well get the better kit from speed factor because the other things priced individually will take you to that kit's price, give or take some dollars depending on the brands and what not of what you buy.