Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Before Turbo ideas....

Old 11-26-2001, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Before Turbo ideas....

I hope to be running w/ a turbo by the summer, but I wondering what are some good mods to work with before the turbo. I have an intake and exhaust....I was thinking along the lines of adding pullies and BBTB before the turbo...any other suggestions??
Old 11-26-2001, 11:40 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Tib

transmission reinforcement
Old 11-26-2001, 11:41 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Tib

and make your engine stronger and more heat-resistant...(ceramic coating what you can)
Old 11-26-2001, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Depends on how crazy you are going to go with the turbo.

BTB and BIM are a good idea.
Ceramic coating the BIM wouldn't hurt
Saving up your money for a nice 3" exhaust to match the turbo
Larger inejctors
some form of ECU trickery or stand Alone ECU replacement
New clutch
Lightweight flywheel (turbo might spool down too fast between slow shifts though)
Stronger driveshafts if over 250 WHP
Quaiffe LSD
Big Brake upgrade
Some nice racing seats?
larger fuel pump
port and polish head and clean up combuston chamber and stock pistions (if you keep them)
New low compression pistions
Stronger rods

That's all I can think of off the top of my head as tired as I am.
Old 11-27-2001, 05:25 PM

Good info...now how about for the Superchargers? I have been studying all the posts about Superchargers and I like the fact they strain the engine less. What mods do you recoment before a Super' goes in?
Old 11-29-2001, 12:39 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Add in a 4-1 header for the supercharger
No IM mods, as the Supercharger replaces the IM.
You could still do mods to the TB though.

Otherwise, the rest of the list is still good.
Old 11-29-2001, 04:48 AM
Red

The stories that superchargers put less "strain" on the motor is completely false... If anything, they provide MORE strain to get the same amount of power.

The turbocharger is run from the heat expansion and speed of the exhaust gasses coming out of the engine. If you are flooring it, you get a LOT of exhaust gas and the turbo will run very quickly. If you are putting around town driving like grandmother, the exhaust gas will be very little and the turbo doesn't do much of anything.

A supercharger is run mechanically by a belt attached to your crank pulley. The faster your motor is revving, the faster the supercharger is run. The difference is, the motor must actually DRIVE the supercharger assembly, which takes power away. (They don't just freewheel, they are not "easy" to turn). The more boost pressure you run from a supercharger, the harder it is to turn.

Not only that, but since the charger is DIRECTLY connected to the motor by a drive belt, it is always rotating and sucking power... So when you're running down the highway at 80mph and don't need boost, it's still having to turn the charger.

More heat? Most supercharger kits aren't intercooled, most turbo kits are. There's lots of pros and cons, but after learning on this stuff for the last few years, turbochargers almost always come out on top.

-Red-
Old 11-29-2001, 05:10 AM

For me it comes down to a matter of limitation.

There is pretty much a cap on how much power you can get out of a supercharger. Varies from engine to engine, but it's subject to the law of dimisnishing returns.

The only limit to a turbocharger is your bank account! Well...not really...but the yield of a turbo is much much higher than that of a supercharger.