Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Ball bearing or journal turbos

Old 02-27-2012, 12:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2005 Elantra
Default Ball bearing or journal turbos

What does everyone here prefer? I guess it depends on your goals and the type of turbo but I have been told that journal turbos are the way to go for long lasting performance.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:31 AM
FIO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: A Boosted Car

Originally Posted by cowcool
What does everyone here prefer? I guess it depends on your goals and the type of turbo but I have been told that journal turbos are the way to go for long lasting performance.

That's a difficult question to answer because everyone's build goals and targets are different. Generally, the journal bearing turbos of the same frame/trim/AR are less expensive than ball bearing turbos. The BB turbos can spool faster and are more efficient in compressing air than the journal bearing turbos. But the JB turbos are less expensive to rebuild than the BB ones.

So if I were to build a race car that needs non-compromising performance, I'd go with a BB. If I were to build a street or DD car just for a bit more passing power, I'd choose a JB turbo.