Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Bad Hla (lifters)

Old 12-27-2006, 03:44 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: x3 accent gk tiburon santa fe

how much of you have come across bad HLA ?
i've got this probem for the 3rd time now,jacked up HLA,leaving the car running on 3 cylinders (no more compression in that cylinder)
remember i rev it often up to 7500 rpms so it might be one of the reason,
but i can't relate why the increased RPMs
so tomorow i'll change the offending lifter,but i know the problem wil lcome back sooner or later
Old 12-27-2006, 03:57 PM

You could try and swap out the hydrolic beta I lifters for the beta II non-cvvt mechanical lifters, I'm pretty sure they are interchangable and they would hold up better in the higher rpm levels plus you would be able to run the beta II cams which are slightly better as well., I'm gonna try this route soon as I keep having the same problems with the hydrolic lifters as well, they seem to become cloged up and gummy for some reason even though I always run synthetic oils, I will pull them out and soak them in kerosene for a day or two them soak them in oil and the work as good as new for a while.
Old 12-27-2006, 04:39 PM

I took my car in and had them replace the whole motor.

New Motor and Tranny @60,000 miles. That warranty is wonderful!
Old 12-27-2006, 05:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

I've never had that problem before. Perhaps you could shim the oil pump spring to get a little more oil up there in the upper rpms. I'm betting they get starved at that high rpm.
I shimmed mine once. Don't know why, but it seemed to raise the oil pressure nicely.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:28 PM

Shim the oil pump? Can you explain further?

That was the reason my HLA's started knocking and ended in the failure of the motor was problems with the oil pump not sending enough oil to the top of the motor.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:32 PM

Most guys do this when they rev the motor beyond stock.

Take off the oil pan. Losen the big brass bolt on the bottom of the oil pump. Inside you'll find a spring and I believe a metal ball. They may or may not fall out when you take the bolt off, so be careful to catch them. Put in a washer or two or three, as needed. Sorry, I don't remember how many I put in.

What happens is the spring allows the oil to be bypassed when it reaches a certain pressure. When you shim it, you tighten the spring so that it starts to bypass at a higher pressure than normal.
Old 12-27-2006, 05:38 PM

for the solid one i know about that,i'll just swap to a newer head when i'll get some spare time
we also need to remember that the beta2 head is designed slightly different,longuer valves,longer springs,no oil feed holes for the lifters,no oil restrictor in the block deck
the solid ones are also lighter,wich means they're happier with revs

John,oil pressure is jsut right, about 30 at idle with engine hot and around 65psi over 4500 rpms
but it doesn't seam like a lack of pressure since they jack up,must be more of a design problem
oil is changed quite often ( i'm hard on it,so spending a few $$ on extra oil changes des give me some peace of mind)
oh well, i'll see how many of the mare bad tomorrow and try to look at what is happening exactly...
Old 12-27-2006, 05:44 PM

The engine may be getting 65psi, but the head is only getting like 20psi. It may not be enough for reving that high. The HLA's are also getting starved of oil when you rev it that high and keep it there. They don't have time to inflate with oil.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:14 PM

yup, possible,
but last time they were "over expanded"
might be a spring problem in my case

didn't have much time to play with the car
but i did change one "bad" lifter wich was on the #4 cylinder intake side
lifter was jacked up,keeping the valve partially open,not sure what happened exactly,but i did try to compress it a bit without nay luck
gonan take it appart when i come back next wek