Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

bad gas?

Old 10-18-2010, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 99 accent
Default bad gas?

I have a non intercooled turbo accent and it was running fine for over a week getting gas from random stations (always 91oct) then I filled up at funny's (cheapest gas around still 91 oct) and on my way to the drag strip I got on full throttle and it started pinging like a b*tch. I adjusted the fmu to full rich (I got hesitation at anything but full rich) and I trapped 4mph slower than before at the same boost, I could see the gas gauge go down after a few passes. So I filled up to a 1/4 tank at a different station and tried the car the next day with the fmu set back to were it was, and it felt way better still with a little hesitation at wot. I got gas at that station again and now it pulls hard with no hesitation. Did this ever happen to anyone, I thought gas was all the same?
Old 10-18-2010, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

It's not. Welcome to knowing that.

Some stations you will note a definite increase in fuel economy, some you will note your car stalls out on the side of the road because they accidentally put water or diesel in the gas.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:12 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Just recently we got gas from a gas station named "out of gas" lol. Anyway my girlfriends evo ran horrible and even got a few check engine lights for misfires. It was suppose to be 93 octane but im assuming that something was wrong with the gas since its running strong as hell again on sunnoco 93.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Vehicle: 14 EGT 2.0

Yep, im sure those guys never dump some of the wrong octane in the storage tanks. heh.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

LOL "Oops! Dammit! Again!" laugh.gif
Old 10-19-2010, 09:16 AM

Vehicle: 2003/Hyundai/Tiburon

The old Addage "You Get What you Pay for!" applies even to gasoline. Profit drives EVERYTHING! If some station has the cheapest gas in town they are either going out of business or doing something to increase profit like mixing in water or using mid-grade as the premium grade gas. Bottom line is stick with well known fuel stations like Shell that have stringent quality standards. You may pay more, but at least your car won't blow up. LOL