Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Att: Turbo Tibbys!!!!!!!!

Old 05-28-2002, 03:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Att: Turbo Tibbys!!!!!!!!

Does anyone have a oil Temp gauge installed in their car?
Th reason why im asking is because my gauge is reading anywhere between 240-250Degress.It is warm out today and since im running a Turbo at 10psi this will account for the high Temp readings.So my questions are:
If i switch from 10W 30 Mobil Synthetic to 15w 50 Mobil Synthetic would this keep the temp lower or do i need an oil cooler.
What are the normal readings suppose to be at before its dangerous?
Any help would be appreciated smile.gif smile.gif
Old 05-28-2002, 04:25 AM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

2Uniq First of all i have to say that are special oils for turbo engines.You can check them out in any serious autoshop.
Secondly one of my friends had that problem or worry.He bought a special cover for the oilfilter which is like cooler.Its the same thing like heatwrapping your cai or headers.In my country they call it oilcooler kit.
But i am sure any qualified mechanic can fit an oil cooler to your tib.It wont do much but its a safe gadget.
Secondly all of turbo tibs in my country use huge intercoolers.I am sure because ive seen many turbo tibs if you use proper turbo oil you wont have any problem>i am sure Random can help you on that
Old 05-28-2002, 04:37 AM

that temp doesnt sound bad

You do have a turbo,... which heats up the engine big time

if you wanna keep the engine bay cooler,... do the heat wrap thing on the turbo manifold and piping.

Wanna keep the air cooler?,... go with water injection or a bigger intercooler

You should be alright with the oil you are using
Old 05-28-2002, 04:38 AM

well i dont have my turbo in yet, but i will be running an oil cooler. looks just like an automatic trans. cooler. hell im sure that an A/T cooler would work just fine.

you oughta look into it. wouldnt cost much money @ all.
Old 05-28-2002, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

An oil cooler is your only option. Running thicker oil will help the oil resist the higher temps, but it will not help the engine run "cooler".

Also, what are your coolant temps? How often are your cooling fans kicking on? My guess is that your coolant temps are also elevated.

Lastly...how high does your oil temp go after you shut the car off? Try this. Run the car as normal. Shut the car off, count to 120, then turn the car back on. Watch your oil and coolant temps soar. Why? You shut off the engine with a hot turbo. The coolant could not circulate properly and neither could the oil.

That "cooking" of the oil is what is leading to the crap clogging up your HLA's.
Old 05-28-2002, 06:15 AM

Random I assume that is why people say leave the engine running for 5 minutes.

What about adding an override button to the fans. Make them run longer or maby just all the time if you are say sitting in traffic.
Old 05-28-2002, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

I have one of the 2 fans running anytime the engine is on. This keeps coolant temps "normal". The extra cooling fan still kicks on every once and a while, but by in large, it keeps coolant temps normal. Oil temps are still in the 240's with hard driving, but normally(for me) they are in the 220's.
Old 05-28-2002, 07:54 AM

2Uniq,

The temps are not bad. I would try to wire the fans to stay on whenever the ignition is on... or atleast have them both run together. Also you can go with a lower degree thermostat. These should help but may not completely solve your problem. An oil cooler is the final option. Many of the turbo tiburons here run oil coolers but not all.

Your other problem you mention in your email is still likely due to your stock ECU not liking the injectors even with the AFC. The best you can hope for is to try to tune it a little better.
Old 05-28-2002, 10:43 AM

isnt that what a turbo timer is for??? (as far as when ur car is off) after your car is turned off the fans keep running for an aloted time to cool engine. how pricy r these??
Old 05-28-2002, 12:00 PM

A turbo timer actually keeps the car / engine running after you switch it off.