Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Apexi Safc Ii

Old 07-30-2006, 12:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Hmm ive recently acquiring an Apexi SAFC 2 and am in the process of installing it. I have also come across some conflicting opinions. Appearently our computers dont like apexi :D or as Redz put it, our computers have the ability to "learn"--wish i had that ability... but anyway was wondering what everyone else thinks. Not any disrespect to you redz, id just like to get more information about it before i go wire-cutter crazy and rip it on out of there after some 6 or 7 days of wiring problems. Not so much installing the apexi... that was easy, it was the simple fact that the previous owner of my car had a python security system installed and the guy who did that just shoved everything under the dash and made a big mess with the electrical taping and ziptying. On top of that, the RPM signal to the cluster some how got damaged. Im wondering if the apexi might be putting too much of a draw on it? im not sure, but neither the apexi nor my cluster is reading any RPM signal.......makes driving fun.... :D. Well, any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:07 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Well, my first question would be, did you get it FULLY installed?

Second would be...

Did you install it correctly?

There are a LOT of threads here on the SAFC, and a lot of them are old. Most of the members here have moved on, but the SAFC II isn't that bad for N/A applications. You have to reset your ECU alot, and it'll just re-learn around the SAFC again, but it WILL work. I know you said via IM that you've searched a lot on the subject, but keep looking. More folks will reply during the week.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:12 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Your ECU will not always learn around your SAFC. It will only do that if you are constantly running fuel correction. Set your SAFC to only correct at 85% or higher throttle and you should be good to go. As far as your other problems go I would definately verify all of your connections. Did you wire tap them or did you solder them in?
Old 07-30-2006, 06:24 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Really? You'd be the first person I've ever heard say that. But I could see what you are saying. If it only changes #'s at 85% or above, you aren't there enough for the ECU to adjust. But you'll still run rich at lower than 85%.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:57 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

I got that info from HP I believe. If you look at my DIY it is posted in there somewhere. You are correct, you will be still running rich below 85% throttle, but you will be running good when it matters. wink1.gif
Old 08-01-2006, 10:54 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

well no, its not fully installed yet which is what spawned my question to Redz about it, umm the whole rpm problem kinda through me for a loop. No, foolishly I did not soder them which im kicking myself for. I don't know why the hell I didn't, ive never gone the lazy way with her before and now that ive done so Ive gone and f-ed up my ecu wires pretty bad. Quick question, is the ecu from the 1996-2000 elantra the same as ours? Only becuase I was thinking of pulling the wiring harness off of it at the junkyard. Im not going to completely redo the wiring harness, that would probably be a joke, however, i figured id just snip my OEM wiring harness up high under the dash, plug the one from the junkyard into my ecu, then sodder and wrap all the wires.. seperatly of course. Also If I go with the SMT 6, will it have a in-car display readout, or do I need to use my computer and usb port to configure it all? Sorry, i hope this isnt too off topic if so ill post this somewhere else.