Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Alpine Update

Old 12-23-2006, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Well, its up and running. I spent the day fixing the normal small oil leaks, a blown coupler, and started to clean up the wiring nightmare I created. Around town its a dream, I'm not thrashing it on it just yet but giving it good throttle it does have a slight stutter, nothing that I've pushed the limits on. It has seemed to get better, the computer is probably adjusting to it. No CELs, which with my n00b wiring skills is probably a miracle. Unless of course I disabled the CEL and I have like nine but I can't seem em. lmao.gif

The around town tune is good and the 13G is quick lil spooler. Normal driving is spot on. I missed the swoosh sound so much. cool.gif

No completed pics but I do have a few pics of it where I stopped last night... mainly highlighting a few issues I had. Not the most perfect kit in the world, but its not bad so far.

Just a pic.

Can see where the hot side of the turbo piping is pushing on the upper radiator hose slightly. Nothing to warrant any cooling issues, I drove about ~60 miles around town with it never overheating.

Pic from under, I found the return line to be a lil long, but it should be ok. Can also see the oil from where I had a small leak on the fitting that attaches the feed to the turbo which dripped to the underside. Fixed now.

Place where I had the most aggrivation, the cold side piping did not clear the fan motor, so I had fun wacking it and trying to make it fit. It also rests on the lower radiator hose. As I cut some piping, the filter location is off. I spent the most time piddling with this.

There are still some other issues I had, such as no spot for the IAT sensor and no spot for the Idle Air bypass. All in all took me a good few days and prob 15 hours to do, maybe closer to 20. Just small lil aggrivation issues I had... plus the ECU wiring kicked my ass, I hate where that stupid thing is.

I'll probably work on sticking the IAT sensor down in the cold piping tomorrow. If the stutter is still there, I may redo the MAF extensions since I did those with acid core solder instead of rosin... also since I had such problems with the cold side piping the coupler is not sitting straight on the turbo, perhaps under higher throttle I'm drawing in some unmetered air passed the MAF giving me some problems.
Old 12-23-2006, 03:17 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Awesome mang!! Looks really good, can't wait to see some better pics, and some videos!
Old 12-23-2006, 04:39 PM

I'll get some good vids and pics once I get it completely done up and fixed perfect, hopefully the stutter will go away or become less apparent. If not, off to the dyno. Should be done up tomorrow.
Old 12-23-2006, 04:57 PM

hard to tell from the angle, but that return line isnt circling upwards slightly is it?

looks like fun.
Old 12-23-2006, 05:03 PM

It does head up slightly, so the oil is going to puddle a bit, its not enough upwards of an angle to cause it to flow back into the turbo or anything, I'd say the line sits about two inches below the tap in the pan. The line is too long for me to make it go straight down. The oil pan has some draw on it to help suck the oil into the pan, I shouldn't have an issue but its something I will keep an eye on.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:08 PM
Banned

looks good man.. definately keep an eye on the oil drain, thats where ALL my turbo problems factor in. i need to get my fitting welded in the pan (jb crap welded now and leaking) my return line has almost zero gravitational flow. and my return line is leaking.. lol..

get some engine bay pics pronto.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:16 PM

i would really see about getting a shorter hose. you REALLY want that return line to have ZERO resistance. even the slightest amount of puddling can cause major problems.

worst part is that you cant really keep an eye on it. one second it will be fine and then the next your turbo will be toast.

besides, you can pick up 3/4 hose for super cheap from summit or something. i would, it would definately put my nerves at ease.
Old 12-23-2006, 07:27 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

looks really good ham...

just be mindful of the oil return line
Old 12-23-2006, 07:41 PM

Ye, I'm definately going to play with it tomorrow and try to get it better than it is.
Old 12-23-2006, 09:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon Turbo, 99 Tiburon F2E, 2013 Avalon XLE Touring

You should talk to Alpine about the little problems you are having. Maybe they can address them for future kits.