Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Alpine Turbo Tuning

Old 03-02-2002, 09:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpine Turbo Tuning

I am probably getting my Alpine turbo kit installed next week. I am just concerned that for the tuning of the UNICHIP the nearest authorized dealer is 2 hours away. Will I be able to have the kit installed then drive the car to go get it tuned or will this blow something up?? Random, anybody got experience with this??
Old 03-02-2002, 04:11 PM

once the kit is installed, and you need to drive it home or to another shop.. DO NOT STOMP on the gas pedal. go EASY on it. BABY IT...

if you are worried about breaking something.. treat it like a new born baby.

i think your only problem will be running lean under higher boost at higher rpms...

BUT, you will run lean at peak torque aswell, wich is why you dont want to bring up the boost until the fuel curve is re-tuned.. and you have a fuel pump to match the increased airflow into the cylinders.

either way.. i'm not 100% sure what can go wrong.. BUT like i said, take it slow, dont let the boost go up too high.
Old 03-02-2002, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

The uni-chip should come "semi-tuned" from Alpine. So the car should run, and it should get you to the tuning shop so they can tune the Unichip.
Old 03-02-2002, 06:31 PM

Thanks guys, I will just granny shift it and keep the revs down. Once I get it tuned I will post the dyno sheets. wink
Old 03-03-2002, 02:06 AM

Cuda Turbo!!
Are you installing the head spacer with the Alpine Kit?
Are you changing the configuration and adding your own part n replacement of the original parts that come with the Alpine kit? IE: Not running with the 5th injector set-up ang going with 4 larger injectors.
LET ME KNOW Thanks! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif
Old 03-03-2002, 05:45 AM

I don't plan on changing the injectors yet, I plan on using everything in the kit. As for the head spacer I am debating which way to go, have read many previous post on this subject and some say you can do it without some say you will have detonation problems. I always run 93 Octane in my Tiburon, I don't know if this would cut it without the headspacer, the idea of adding octane boost with every fill up isn't to appealing. Does anybody know if there would be significant horsepower gains if you could get the kit to work without the head spacer? The kit runs around 9-10 psi I do not plan on trying to up the boost until I have more money to play with. Still need to get my rims and tires and get my Cuda kit painted and installed.
Old 03-03-2002, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

The kit would make slighly more HP without the head spacer, however, it would make tuning all that much more critical.

Onpol ran 10 PSI with 100% stock internals, and produced 227 Wheel HP. However that was with 4 larger injectors. Since the alpine kit uses 4 stock injectors and a 5th injector, I do not know if this would be possible, as the tuning of the 5th injector would have to be 100% perfect, or you will destroy the engine.

Also...in my discussion with several Uni-Chip tuning facilities, they all said that the uni-chip could NOT control 4 larger injectors, it would only control 1 extra injector. That means that if you go with 4 larger injectors, you must go with some other form of ECU management.
Old 03-03-2002, 06:29 PM

Vehicle: Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart GSR

I'm off to my nearest unichip dealer in a couple of weeks - its about 1.5 hours from me.

At the moment I don't have the 5th injector installed but I shall be taking it with me incase they need it. I'm quite hopeful about their unichip tuning as they had a turbo kit in the other day and after they re-tuned the Unichip the car was running a hellova lot better. (Don't know what car it was on.)