Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Alpine Turbo Tuned....holy @#*&!!!

Old 08-06-2002, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpine Turbo Tuned....holy @#*&!!!

Well I finally went to Calgary to get the UNICHIP tuned on Saturday. I was very curious to see how this would end up as I have heard lots of tuning problems with other members setups. Jack at iON performance really seems to know his stuff. He said he worked 5 hours on creating a fuel map for my setup. Yes I am using the head spacer and 5th injector like Alpine supplies it. Tuning didn't take to long, he just plugged his PC into the UNICHIP and a couple minutes later we were ready for testing! We setup my Apexi AVCR boost controller and we were ready to test! We did all of our testing on the road as this would more accurate for real world driving conditions.

According to Jack with the fuel map he used, I should be able to boost up to 12lbs!! Don't know if the stock rings would like that to much though. Well we tried out 10 lbs and wow my tib really flew!!
Unfortunatly the stock clutch wouldn't hold the power in 4th and 5th gear so I am running at 9lbs now. Will still have to upgrade the clutch though.

I am very impressed with how well the car is running, no CEL's have popped up and I have put about 600 km on the car since tuning.

First gear is nuts,the tires break loose at around 7 lbs (around 2000-2500 rpm) of boost and you have to grab second gear almost instantly to keep from bouncing of the rev limiter. Wow this thing boosts fast! Shifting hard into 2nd traction is minimal until 40+ mph. Now this is with the crappy stock Michelins which are coming off tommorrow in place of Kumho 712's on 17" rims.

I'm gonna do some runs with my G-Tech and see how much of an improvement I can get in the quarter. My Tib bone stock ran an average of 16.3 secs, should be interesting. Will keep y'all posted!
Old 08-06-2002, 04:32 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Elantra

Cool! Good luck with the Turbo.
Old 08-06-2002, 04:52 PM

Glad to hear someone having success with the Alpine kit! Hopefully more good news with it to follow! smile.gif Keep us posted on developments!

[ August 07, 2002, 12:42 AM: Message edited by: Raithan ]
Old 08-06-2002, 05:38 PM

You should really talk that guy into making a How-To for us that we can either do ourselves or bring to a mechanic w/ at least a little tuning know-how.
Old 08-06-2002, 05:43 PM

9o7TiB7o9:
You should really talk that guy into making a How-To for us that we can either do ourselves or bring to a mechanic w/ at least a little tuning know-how.
That's exactly what I was thinking.

The guy should do even just a quick step by step of what he did that others who run the turbo can give to the mechanics who tune our turbos.

Oh, and also, you need to get on a dyno and get us some numbers! smile.gif
Old 08-06-2002, 09:33 PM

Cuda Turbo - One of the places I talked to about tuning my alpine asked me if I could get the mappings from one that was tuned already.

Can you check to see if Jack can save the mappings as some kind of Unichip file. Hell I'll pay ya for it, help off set the tuning costs

Let me know, thanks!
Old 08-06-2002, 10:17 PM

you have any idea what your putting to the wheels now? Did he dyno tune it?
Old 08-07-2002, 12:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

The unichip comes with mapping files, however, they need to be "modified". The setup that is in the unichip is a "generic" Tiburon map. A tuning shop should be able to fine tune that to make HP.

Cuda Turbo-
I highly suggest you INSIST on a dyno tuning of the car. #1. It gives you quantifiable results as to how the tuning was before and after.
#2. It allows the use of an Wideband Air Fuel Ratio meter to monitor O2/fuel levels.

When you "road test" a setup, it should only be AFTER you have already dyno tuned it. There could be spots in the fueling curve that are horribly rich, and you will never know from the seat of your pants. There could also be lean spots that could cause trouble on a hot day, but you won't know without the dyno/wide band 02 sensor.

Lastly, about 50% of my problems are on light throttle, at freeway speeds, going up a slight to moderate incline. (basically, about 1-2 psi of boost). The unichip tends to run lean there which causes the engine to detonate, which the ECU records as a misfire. Make sure he spends some time on the dyno working on the LOW end of the throttle maps too. That is where you will spend 90% of your time driving, and where he should really concentrate his efforts.
Old 08-07-2002, 07:50 AM

Hey Cuda Turbo!!

I am one of the senior members of the Hyundai Enthusiasts Car Club of Calgary, and I want to make contact with you.. so far we have been organizing cruises and social events in Calgary!

We have another Cuda kitted tib, he says he saw another silver Cuda kit in Calgary last saturday (was that you?)

We do plan on going to Drag Warz up in red deer to watch the show and airstrip racing

Or just come out for one of our meets and cruises!! we had one guy drive down from edmonton and back just for an evening of cruising... now thats dedication! We have mostly tibs (with an accent or two) across all three generations.

email me back @ talldarkazn@hotmail.com I'll be waiting to hear from you!
Old 08-07-2002, 11:27 AM

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

is there anything else u can use to run the turbo with besides the unichip as it seems to be a pita to get running rite