Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Alpine SuperChargers

Old 06-19-2002, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alpine SuperChargers

I've read that the Alpine SuperChargers don't run smooth after being installed with the unichip. How rough does it actually run?

Is it mostly because of the poor programming of the unichip?

Not having any luck with the one I installed, should I invest more money to make it run right or just pull the damn thing out?
Old 06-19-2002, 03:59 PM

well, I know you have to get the chip tuned by special shops... and EVERYONE says... don't go alpine. Wait for SR's turbo/supercharger... trust me, it'll be worth the wait mate smile.gif

~Drew
Old 06-19-2002, 04:51 PM

Its kinda too late I've already installed the Alpine SuperCharger sad.gif

I wonder if they accept returns?
Old 06-19-2002, 05:19 PM

Jaws, its mainly becuase the fifth injector setup is like the worst idea in the world.

upgrade to a set of 440cc, pay the $500 (new base setup) to get the unichip retuned, and then probably two or three more visit for fine tuning to get things right.
Old 06-19-2002, 08:08 PM

jaws, i'll buy it from ya...cheap... wink
Old 06-19-2002, 10:19 PM

The one problem is that there is no one here that can retune the unichip. The closest one is about 20 hrs away.
Old 06-19-2002, 11:44 PM

Talk to Xorro, she has been the most succesful with the Alpine SC.
Old 06-20-2002, 12:09 AM

From what I understan the whole setup for Alpines super/turbos suck.
Old 06-20-2002, 02:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

Tranceokido:
From what I understan the whole setup for Alpines super/turbos suck.
It's not that the "whole setup" sucks. The uni-chip is poorly programed as supplied by Alpine.

Contact Tony @ THE RACERS GROUP.
http://www.theracersgroup.com/

They are the USA distributor for Dastek, the makers of the unichip
http://www.dastek.co.za/

Dastek requires that ALL companies selling the unichip have a no questions asked 90 day return for a full refund. This includes Alpine.

If you contact Tony, explain the problem that you are having, he might be able to help you.

Dastek/the racers group were 100% unwilling to sell me the sofware and cable that would allow me to setup/alter the Unichip. There claim is that they don't want the end user blowing up their motor and blaming their product. (sort of understandable)

Xorro was able to get another 20 Ponies out of the S/C setup (using the 5th injector) after having the unichip retuned. She also said it performed MUCH better.

I do agree, going with 4 larger injectors would be a much better performance option, as I am not crazy about the 5th injector setup. The unichip IS capable of running 4 larger injectors, however idle quality is directly based on the size of the injectors. Really Large injectors are going to give a really crappy idle.

If you are only going to do the SC and bolt on's (headers, exhaust, cai, etc), then a set of 350cc injectors should be good to about 225/250 wheel HP. Ballistics sells a set of 550cc injectors for cheaper than the RC Engineering 350/375cc units.

It is not that the alpine units are "poorly designed". The supercharger itself, and the intake manifold it is bolted to are not bad. It is the tuning, or lackthereofe on the unitchip that suck.

The turbo and turbo manifold alpine uses are not that bad...but again, the tunining of the unichip is so damn horrible, that's what makes it suck.

If Alpine offers to retune your Unichip, tell them no. They have retuned my Turbo 3 times, with no real effect. They have retuned my Supercharged unit once, with no real effect. Ask Alpine to either pay you/refund you the tuning cost of the Uni-Chip, or have them interceed on your behalf with your closest canadian Uni-Chip tuner to have them at least offer you a discount rate. If Alpine will not do this, contact the above two people and complain. It didn't do me any good, but maybe you will have better sucess.

Alpine just has no clue how to tune the Unichip. As such, they should simply not be allowed to sell the product. I've e-mail this information before to Tony @ The Racers Group, and "steve" at Dastek. As did Xorro, and one other Alpine Turbo owner. Apparently my e-mails, and the others, had little/no effect on them.
Old 06-20-2002, 02:45 AM
BV1

We were having a discission on whether or not the car is drivable with the supplied uniChip. It runs so rough that there is question to how long it will last with out the retune. Does it run lean with the supplied chip?

Also quick question, when they re-program it do they just hook it up to a computer and download a new MAP to the Unichip? Do they need the car on sight to determine the best values?

Thanks Random,

-Steve