Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

Aem Fic-..and Converting To Map?turbo App.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, so I need some more info on this that i haven't been able to find on the interweb yet, or on this forum.

What i am wondering is , when you clamp the MAF signal when using the FIC, can you actually take the MAF sensor off the car? I would assume that if you clamp the voltage, you have to redefine your own numbers for fuel and timing based on MAP values. I just don't know.

From what i understand when you clamp its voltage, it "hides" the change in the air flow. But why do you need to clamp it if you remove it..gahh im confused about this.

The other end of the spectrum is that you clamp the voltage to the MAF, but you still have to keep the MAF on the Pre compressor intake (you have to make an intake pipe for the compressor side of the turbo and fit the MAF in there). Then under normal throttle (non boost) situations the MAF just does its normal shit, and under boost the AEM FIC takes over in its piggy backed maps, and since the voltage is clamped, the MAF just goes on thinking its at WOT in NA mode.

So does MAF sensor get taken off or on..haha it seems like it stays on..

This is for a 99 tiburon.

sorry for long post tongue.gif
detail.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:00 PM

When someone says they are 'clamping' the MAF voltage all the mean is that they are using some sort of device to cap the maximum MAF voltage the OE ECU sees to avoid a CEL and the dreaded limp mode. The OE MAF is still used for tuning the off boost driving so you can't just throw it away. Now I know some piggybacks like the newish Unichip Q series can take a snapshot of your MAF scale so you can throw in a MAP instead and it will scale it to match so the OE ECU doesn't know any better. Then you can toss your OE MAF sensor. If the AEM FIC has that ability then you can throw out the MAF sensor. The main issue comes into play when you try to replace your primary injectors with much larger ones. You'll have problems subtracting enough MAF voltage to get a decent idle and keep the ECU happy. With the AEM FIC you wouldn't have to worry about any of this though because it can control the injectors via direct pulse width manipulation. The OE ECU is kept happy and has zero knowledge of the boost your cramming into your engine.
So basically I took the long way to say if you use a FIC throw your MAF on the turbo intake pipe and boost away!
Old 02-28-2009, 07:45 PM

if i run it on the turbo intake then do i have to recirculate the BOV then.
God i hate maf cars hah.

also the FIC has a built in MAP sensor.
i'm gonna keep searching...hopefully someone with an FIC can give another perspective on this. Like they may know if you can use the FIC to tune idle portions and get rid of the MAF.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:13 PM
Banned

you can remap the MAF completely and get rid of it. as long as you have good logs of the MAF voltage, you should be able to somewhat easily remap it and scrap it. never seen it done, but its possible.

if you put the MAF on the intake, you dont' HAVE to recirc the BOV, but it would help. i had an anti-stall setting on my emanage that helped prevent issues.

my MAF was pre-turbo, and i had an HKS BOV (atmos)
Old 02-28-2009, 09:21 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

I don't see why you need to clamp the MAF if you will be hooking the FIC semi standalone (intercepting injector signals). The ECU using a MAF doesn't freak out on boost unlike a MAP.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:35 AM

hmm, okay so the maf doesn't freak out per-se, but i assume its going to keep fudging the fuel and timing values.

I've found that any maf car i have tuned, has also sort of "learned" its way back to an un boosted tune, when oyu use a piggy back that doesn't clamp the maf voltage. I don't have a lot to compare to, but i assumed everyone that was using the FIC was clamping the voltage.

Id rather not remap the MAF sections. Since i heard it works perfectly fine as is..

however...i assume i will have to still adjust fuel in that range due to the larger injectors..

I don't see why people don't run blow through setups with their maf's on these cars, instead of draw through like was suggested to me (on the intake of the turbo).
The air temp being on the charge pipe close to the TB, in its almost stock location , would see to be more accurate. The only problem sees to be that stupid inatke air temp sensor...its not a threaded flange, its rubber bung style...i hate those..can't put them in charge piping without leaking i wouldnt think.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:56 AM
Banned

most people do run blow thru setups that have MAFs.. probably about 90% of the guys do.

i, on the other hand used the draw thru setup just because.. haha
Old 03-06-2009, 09:35 AM

i see the trouble with getting rid of the MAF completly...
you would have to completly start from scrtach and tune all the timing numbers, in vaccum areas.
Fuel wouldnt be so hard, but timing would be.

If i clamp the maf voltage does the MAF still work under vaccuum? Meaning will the car know what to do in vaccum. Obviosuly the fuel will be adjusted for bigger injectors, but other than that.

Old 03-06-2009, 09:59 AM
Banned

if you remap the MAF sensor, getting rid of it wont be hard.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:04 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

As I have mentioned... you don't need to do anything with MAF if you are controlling each injectors with the FIC. The ECU cannot do anything with fuel since the FIC is now in control.