Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

AEM F/IC MAF simulation

Old 03-23-2013, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2012 mitsubishi eclipse spyder gs, 2001 hyundai tiburon
Default AEM F/IC MAF simulation

I've been tweaking and working with the fic, and was wondering if anyone else has done the the MAF sim, and successfully removed their MAF.

I was curious what was done in the data gathering for the MAF, I have about 40 minutes of data, but still lots of holes to try to populate the map with. I was wondering what a few of you have done.

All my graphs are pincer-like, with scattered plots in the mid load area, but nothing landing near the map breakpoints.

edit* Btw, the car is n/a with cold air, headers and exhaust, and 1.8 cam, 2.0 ecu.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:55 PM

Vehicle: Lancer Evo IX

Depends on the MAF unit itself. Some also sample temp and density, so mucking around with deleting it opens up a can of worms. You always want a means to measure incoming air real-time. QUESTION. Are you also logging both lambda and knock or are you trying to sample off of the 02 sensors on the car itself?

Also, why do you want to delete the MAF?
Old 03-23-2013, 08:52 PM

Intake temp sensor is separate from the maf, the fic's onboard map sensor can measure incoming air real-time, and the fic reads the voltage from the o2 and knock, but what that has to do with the maf logging, to simulate, is beyond me.

Why? Personal preference, less cluttered engine bay.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:13 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

I have attempted to do just this. It took lots of data logging and I still couldn't really get the fuel trims to stabilize. I decided to move the MAF after the turbo instead. If you have the time and patience though, it can be done.

as far as I know the FIC does not connect to the oem knock sensor unless you use one of the additional channels, even so you can't advance ignition timing with the FIC. If you are staying NA I would leave the MAF in, it's far more sensitive at higher throttle inputs than the map sensor on the FIC. You won't really get any benefits from removing it on an NA engine, you'd have better luck adding a wideband and an EGT gauge and adjusting the fuel.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:25 AM

Oh, i will be boosting, i'm just getting myself fluid with the fic before dropping the built engine in.

I had initially planned to go the megasquirt route, but wasn't confident with my abilities to make the full ecu switch. Unfortunately I already had everything else planned around it.