Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

4g63t Swap

Old 08-06-2005, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Well I am seriously thinking about doing this over the winter. Me and my dad and brother have done engine swaps before and my dad can fabricate some new motor mounts. Anyway I was thinking about eventually doing the complete drivetrain swap making my Tib AWD. I dont have the money to do the complete drivetrain just yet and was just wondering if i could use the AWD tranny but only have it drive the front
Old 08-06-2005, 01:59 PM

Honestly, if you cannot afford to go all the way... don't do it. The absolute best way to possibly pull this swap off... buy a wrecked EVO. You are going not only need the engine and drivetrain.. but all the mounting points for the rear suspension, the driveshaft tunnel, the electronics to run everything... You are even going to need a new gastank as ours is right where the shaft to the rear diff needs to be.
In short, even if doing this yourself.. this is an involved swap that is going to take a LOT of time and money.
Old 08-06-2005, 09:49 PM

I have been looking for a wrecked one and that is probably what I will do. I was jsut wondering if I can drive jsut the front wheels. probably jsut for a couple months and once spring comes around i will probably get around to doing the drivetrain
Old 08-07-2005, 12:08 AM

Yes...make sure you look for a wrecked EVO...not an Eclipse GSX/Talon TSi...mostly because of where the tranny is positioned on the Evo...the Evo is located at the same place (driver's side), whereas the GSX/TSi ones are located on the passenger side.

Also, older 4G63Ts (I believe 5-6 bolt ones) had crank walk issues...another reason why you want to stay away from those.

As for the gas tank, just get yourself a nice fuel cell. Shouldn't be a problem. You will need to cut out the wheel well (that's where the rear diff sits, like Mad mentioned).

And like Mad said...do NOT plan on doing this without having all the money you need to do this. The conversion is time consuming as is. And this is not like dropping a new engine and regular tranny. AWD systems have 3 diffs, compared to our 1 diff.
Old 08-07-2005, 11:20 AM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

AC's right except for the crankshaft bolts. You want to stay away from the 7-bolt crank. That is the one that had crankwalk issues. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The tranny thing is also something you'll have to consider. (mounting points)

All in all, price it out, see what it'll cost, and get 'er done! Seriously, that would be a pretty mean tiburon to drive.
Old 08-07-2005, 12:55 PM

Nay. The 7-bolt is the Evo one...and as far as I'm concerned, there are no crankwalk issues that I've heard of on the Evos.
Old 08-07-2005, 01:07 PM

7-bolt motors on the 4G63T out of Eclipse\etc. had crankwalk issues. 1995-1999 years. 6-bolt motors from 1994 and back in Eclipse\etc. are generally known for having a better crank setup, although the rear-ends are weaker in those years. fing02.gif

Evo don't have any crankshaft issues that I've heard of, so since your not swapping in an older 4G63T out of an Eclipse\etc. then its not an issue.

Yes, you can setup an AWD tranny to run just the fronts. But its not something thats good for the tranny... and if its only a few months until you would put in the full drivetrain, then wait.
Old 08-07-2005, 02:54 PM

I have a 1991 AWD Eclipse that you can buy CHEAP if you come get it!

The tranny, rear diff, and turbo are all new (less than 1000mi). The car doesn't start. The fuel pump or ignition system is bad. It would make a great parts car for the swap....
Old 08-07-2005, 10:17 PM

Does it use the same tranny? because the evo ones sit right in our car and would require a lot less work than one that sits the opposite way. Someone help me, are the parts the same?
Old 08-08-2005, 02:10 PM

I'm not sure. The car is not parked at my house (currently). I will check it later on tonite and get back to you.....drivers side tranny right?