Turbo & Supercharge (Forced Induction) Posts regarding Turbochargers, Superchargers and any other method for Forced Induction.

398hp Turbocharged Beta

Old 05-07-2002, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 398hp Turbocharged Beta

According to HyundaiUSA, their new 2003 Tiburon makes a beefy 398hp on it's turbocharged beta.

Oh hell yeah!

Here's a direct link:
http://www.hyundaiusa.com/news/motorCar.html

I hope that (in the next several years) Hyundai will release a toned down (maybe 280hp) version of their U.S. rally car. Sort of like Subaru did with the WRX...

What did everyone that went to Rim of the World think of the rally Tib?
Old 05-07-2002, 10:39 PM

Too bad Hyundai couldn't release it as a factory beta turbo kit for us that the dealer would warranty and install...
smile.gif
Old 05-08-2002, 12:02 AM

hehehe, funny story. I saw mark lovell at the 2002 Atlanta Journal Car show. When he was signing my wrx poster, my buddy told him that I drove a modded tibby, and he made fun of me for driving one. Very unprofessional, now I just wish I knew that hyundai's wupping his ass with 18 points ahead wink hehehehe that would've been funny smile.gif
Old 05-08-2002, 01:12 AM

Does having a lightened flywheel just make you rev faster, or does it actually increase redline too? I would assume that it's the first, but hey.. I don't know anything about anything so I'm asking.
Old 05-08-2002, 01:22 AM

i think raising the redline affects more than just the flywheel, the HLA's the cams and most of all the length of the con rods or the stroke. I think they may have just increased the redline, but it may be pretty harsh on the engine. after all they can afford to replace the engine after every race.

I beleive that when you do your time trial, you have to race with the same engine. So that people can just sup their car up run their engine to near death and replace it. hehehe, someone told me that. anyway
Old 05-08-2002, 02:28 AM

It's going to be a little on the heavy side with the roll cages and safety equipment + the all wheel drive.
Old 05-08-2002, 02:52 AM
Red

That's the same power that the LAST Tiburon was making on it's BETA engine. Sounds like the identical setup actually, just with a new shell.

Flywheels do not add horsepower and do not change your redline. Also, an internally STOCK motor would gain nothing from a higher redline, but a motor with all kinds of aftermarket internals certainly could. The only way to change the redline is to change the computer. On my Haltech setup, I'll be setting the revlimiter to 7K as well.

As for 9.5:1 compression being too high, it's most definately not. Even 11:1 compression plus turbocharged boost is very doable with a good standalone engine management system. Rally cars need torque everywhere even with the mandated restrictor plates, so the only way to do it is keep comprssion high.

These rally cars are VERY well thought out, I doubt anyone here (definately including myself) has anything to offer the engineering staff that plans and builds them.
Old 05-08-2002, 03:22 AM

I'm glad to see the 2003 as a viable rally platform. I was worried that it wouldn't work as well. I don't remember the old cars using Stack gauges though. That would be cool to see that setup.